CH 2...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hendog

Reaction score
I am looking for a low to medium gain blues sound. Maybe even Dumblish. Suggestions on what MODE and how to set it up???

Hendog said:
I am looking for a low to medium gain blues sound. Maybe even Dumblish. Suggestions on what MODE and how to set it up???

For real? Pick a mode and tweak for a second.. done. Depending on what kind of blues you want, i'd say the easiest would be crunch mode. I've never owned a Dumble so I can't say about that, but as a general rule.. thinner sound use edge, crunchy use crunch, and thick use mark 1.

I'll be more specific if you're using str 450's or at least el 34's.

I use crunch with a Telecaster, all controls at about noon. I have a 12AT7 in V2, though, so it brings the gain down a bit.

I really like chan 1 for that app. as well.....tweed/variac/bold / 10 watt/**** near dime the gain,turn up master, use the vol and tone control on your axe to fine tune
-have also had good results with chan 3 c+ mode, but backing down the gain a good bit..bout 9 or 10 oclock---tried this with a 2x12 loaded with g12 65 celestions/Tom Anderson and I felt like Robben Ford
...some chan 2 alternatives if you get bored

lesterpaul said:
I really like chan 1 for that app. as well.....tweed/variac/bold / 10 watt/**** near dime the gain,turn up master, use the vol and tone control on your axe to fine tune
-have also had good results with chan 3 c+ mode, but backing down the gain a good bit..bout 9 or 10 oclock---tried this with a 2x12 loaded with g12 65 celestions/Tom Anderson and I felt like Robben Ford
...some chan 2 alternatives if you get bored

Been through CH1 and CH2 and both have great options but I cannot use either for this purpose. Both are totally spoken for.

I need CH2 to cover this middle ground (what it's supposed to do) and I'm not having much luck.

I'm not really into the whole Robben Ford thing although I do seem to recall his earlier stuff being done on a Boogie Mark 1.

I'd probably look at Mark I mode with the thick switch up (in normal). Run the bass at zero, mids a little below half, the treble and presence way up (3:00), and the gain around 9:00 or below. Then ride the volume knobs to transition between clean and lead.

screamingdaisy said:
I'm not really into the whole Robben Ford thing although I do seem to recall his earlier stuff being done on a Boogie Mark 1.

I'd probably look at Mark I mode with the thick switch up (in normal). Run the bass at zero, mids a little below half, the treble and presence way up (3:00), and the gain around 9:00 or below. Then ride the volume knobs to transition between clean and lead.

I'll look into Mark I again. I love it for super saturated high gain stuff.

Hendog said:
screamingdaisy said:

I'll look into Mark I again. I love it for super saturated high gain stuff.

I tried using it for high gain lead for awhile, but it was so thick and impressive sounding it made Mark II and IV modes sound so wimpy by comparison it made channel switching an issue.

I do feel it does a very good job of being that 'in between' mode though, provided you're into the compression that goes along with it.

Scary said:
Hendog said:

For real? Pick a mode and tweak for a second.. done. Depending on what kind of blues you want, i'd say the easiest would be crunch mode. I've never owned a Dumble so I can't say about that, but as a general rule.. thinner sound use edge, crunchy use crunch, and thick use mark 1.

I'll be more specific if you're using str 450's or at least el 34's.

I'm running 6L6's.

SteveO said:
I use crunch with a Telecaster, all controls at about noon. I have a 12AT7 in V2, though, so it brings the gain down a bit.

That sounds terrible with my guitar (or my playing). But thanks for the tip on the 12AT7.

I would definitely say go for the Mark I sound, but back the gain down and crank the master. I hate to repeat myself from other posts, but I think the Mark I setting is really versatile on this amp.

I just traded away my Fuchs ODS two weeks ago so I was unable to do a side-by-side comparison. I did, however, try setting up Ch2/MkI mode as suggested above and with a little tweaking I was able to cop tones similar to the Fuchs - clean (guitar volume rolled back a bit) through high gain. Exact? No. The circuits are far too different to expect to match tone/texture/response between the two amps. It seemed a bit closer to Robben's more recent Dumble overdrive tones than to the Fuchs' overdrive which is creamier and a bit more compressed. Best results, as always, will be realized at gigging volume but I found these tones pleasing even at family-friendly output.

Caveat: There are all kinds of subtle characteristics, overtones, etc. present in a Dumble ODS type circuit that collectively make up the tone and character of these amps. It's a sound I've not heard from any other type of amp. Taking the player/technique out of the equation if you're looking for R.Ford's Dumble tones exactly in fine detail you're likely to be disappointed with anything but an ODS type amp. If you're just looking to cop a similar tone you should be able to get there using the MkV, Ch2/MkI mode set up as suggested above and a little time tweaking to account for different speaker(s)/enclosure(s) and, most importantly, your ears and how you perceive what you hear. The characteristic 'chirp' in Robben Ford's attack will not be there. This is a sound he gets using technique to exploit attach characteristics of the ODS.

Another approach would be to get a Hermida Audio Zendrive overdrive pedal and use this in front of your Ch1 clean tone. Ford uses a Zendrive into a blackface Fender amp when not using his Dumble rig. I had one of these for a while before I bought the Fuchs in 2005 and it is indeed a great solution for covering a Ford low to medium gain blues overdrive sound and the Zendrive has the 'chirp' attack thing going on.

Deaj said:
I just traded away my Fuchs ODS two weeks ago so I was unable to do a side-by-side comparison. I did, however, try setting up Ch2/MkI mode as suggested above and with a little tweaking I was able to cop tones similar to the Fuchs - clean (guitar volume rolled back a bit) through high gain. Exact? No. The circuits are far too different to expect to match tone/texture/response between the two amps. It seemed a bit closer to Robben's more recent Dumble overdrive tones than to the Fuchs' overdrive which is creamier and a bit more compressed. Best results, as always, will be realized at gigging volume but I found these tones pleasing even at family-friendly output.

Caveat: There are all kinds of subtle characteristics, overtones, etc. present in a Dumble ODS type circuit that collectively make up the tone and character of these amps. It's a sound I've not heard from any other type of amp. Taking the player/technique out of the equation if you're looking for R.Ford's Dumble tones exactly in fine detail you're likely to be disappointed with anything but an ODS type amp. If you're just looking to cop a similar tone you should be able to get there using the MkV, Ch2/MkI mode set up as suggested above and a little time tweaking to account for different speaker(s)/enclosure(s) and, most importantly, your ears and how you perceive what you hear. The characteristic 'chirp' in Robben Ford's attack will not be there. This is a sound he gets using technique to exploit attach characteristics of the ODS.

Another approach would be to get a Hermida Audio Zendrive overdrive pedal and use this in front of your Ch1 clean tone. Ford uses a Zendrive into a blackface Fender amp when not using his Dumble rig. I had one of these for a while before I bought the Fuchs in 2005 and it is indeed a great solution for covering a Ford low to medium gain blues overdrive sound and the Zendrive has the 'chirp' attack thing going on.

Thanks for the feedback.

I could have sworn that you posted about using these amps back to back.

Hendog said:
Thanks for the feedback.

I could have sworn that you posted about using these amps back to back.

I had them both for about 7 months or so. In that time I never really tried too hard to get the MkV to sound like the Fuchs because I had both - no need or desire. Long story short - I traded the Fuchs away because a permanent arthritic condition has affected my playing to where it no longer works well with that amp. When I read this thread it got me interested in trying to cop that sound with the MkV. I'm pretty sure in a side-by-syde comparison the MkV would not be perceived as sounding like the Fuchs but the settings discussed here do indeed get the MkV in the neighborhood.

Im just about converted to Mark I mode now . Ive been using crunch since I received the amp in January but the more I tweak the Mark I mode the more I like it over the crunch mode . Im almost converted ! Im going to try it on my gig this Friday, that will let me know for sure .

Barry said:
Im just about converted to Mark I mode now . Ive been using crunch since I received the amp in January but the more I tweak the Mark I mode the more I like it over the crunch mode . Im almost converted ! Im going to try it on my gig this Friday, that will let me know for sure .

Are you using Mark I for high gain crunch tones? Or in some other manner?

Back