Celestion S12-150 "Sidewinder" Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramalam

Reaction score
Does/Has anyone used a Celestion S12-150 "Sidewinder" in their Mark series Boogies? How do you like it? I have heard that it is much warmer than the EVM.

Depends your criteria what you want out of the speaker of your preference. When you say "warmer" do you mean the high end is rounder and doesn't have presence punch of EV? Yes that's true.

CelestionSidewinder.jpg

I mean not as bright, less presence, smother highs. I have had at least half a dozen EVMs in both Mark series amps and Thiele cabs. Its time for me to try something else. I much prefer Marshal & Hiwatt 4 X 12" cabs and Marshall 4 X 10" cabs with my C+ but want a change in sound when I use it as a combo. Last month I swapped out the EVM and replaced it with an EV FORCE and liked the change. I also plan to try out a Celestion 90, maybe an Altec 417-8H and a Celestion G12-65, which is my favorite speaker. I find that changing speakers makes a much bigger difference than changing tubes, once you have some decent tubes in your amp and I have tubes I like in it.

I will check into that. I had an Eminence Red White and Blues that I liked but it is a little light on the power handling side for single speaker use in my amp.

Yes, speakers do make a difference changing an amps tone.

I too like Celestion G12-65s, I had a Randall Stack powered by my MESA Boogie Colesium 300 Series. The Randalls was housing the "original" G12-65s.

But remember G12-65 is only a 65 watt speakers and if you are running your Mark Series 100 watt setting becareful.

Another speaker you should consider is Fane Axions, $$$. It handles a 100 watts alnico magnet and will give you that Hiwatt smooth presence punch but not too top end like EVM-12L. Check out Torres Engineer in San Mateo. I know he gets flamed by many bulliten boards but that should not discourage shopping there. :wink:

Other than that you could check out Tone Tubby especially the alnico models but they handle only "50 watts" so you would need two.

I like my Weber so far but I can't compare it to the sidewinder. It is darker, a little looser than a 12L but that is to be expected.

RR said:
Yes, speakers do make a difference changing an amps tone.

I too like Celestion G12-65s, I had a Randall Stack powered by my MESA Boogie Colesium 300 Series. The Randalls was housing the "original" G12-65s.

But remember G12-65 is only a 65 watt speakers and if you are running your Mark Series 100 watt setting be careful.

Another speaker you should consider is Fane Axions, $$$. It handles a 100 watts alnico magnet and will give you that Hiwatt smooth presence punch but not too top end like EVM-12L. Check out Torres Engineer in San Mateo. I know he gets flamed by many bulliten boards but that should not discourage shopping there. :wink:

Other than that you could check out Tone Tubby especially the alnico models but they handle only "50 watts" so you would need two.

I am running a Mark IIC+ Simul Class (about 65 watts) and don't crank it up loud enough to worry about blowing up a 65 watt speaker any more. I lived those days with 100 watt Marshalls, Twin Reverbs equipped with JBLs and EVMs and my first C+ 60/100 with an EVM. I am more into preserving my nearing these days.

I have never had a Fane but I know they sound great in Hiwatt 4 X 12" cabs cranked up high. I had a late 70s Hiwatt 4 X 12" cab with the 4, 2 1/2" front ports, loaded with G12-65s. That was a great combination but I no longer need the power, size and weight.

I had a Tone Tubby AlNiCo Hemp Cone 10" speaker and it was the worst speaker purchases I ever made. Absolute mud and it focuses what little highs it has straight forward like a laser beam. I have never tried their 12s so I can't comment there. Lots of people seem to like them. I have heard that they really have to be cranked up to show their stuff and like to be in cabs with a smallish rear port.

I have had a couple of dealings with Dan Torres. One went badly but I will see what he has.

Thanks for all your help.

What Webers do you have? I love his Blue Pup 10s, the Blue Dogs 12s, and his 1230-55s with pre Rola doping (the Hendrix) speaker. I think he has some of the best speakers out there now and Ted Weber has always been very helpful.

Incidentally, for anyone who is running 50s or 60s amps that were designed to run on 115VAC and who has high house voltage, Weber makes the "Browner". It will lower the voltage. It has a digital volt meter and two outlets. It is only $75.00 which was the cheapest, good solution to my problem. My voltage reaches 127+ on a regular basis. The Browner does not regulate, condition, filter or protect. It only decreases the voltage.

Latest posts

Back