Celestion Greenback 10 Speaker in a 5:25?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone try the Greenback 10 in their Express 1x10?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Celestion-G10-Greenback-T5646BWD-10-30W-Speaker-16-Ohm-/280646008300?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4157ce3dec

For less than that you could get a Weber speaker. Also it is 16 ohms you would be better off with 8 ohms. Lastly, IMO 30 watts is cutting things a tad close I was comfortable with a 40 watt Weber as they are rated conservatively. But 30 Watts should be ok.

You can get a Celestion AlNiCo Gold - G10 8ohm 50 watts for a little more cash then the Greenback.
I put a G10 in my 5:25 about a year ago and I couldn't be happier. :D

Been there, done that. If you only play at home it might be fine. If you go out and crank the amp up full blast you will experience doubts.

Besides, I have this odd idea that when I have a speaker in my hands, I should not be able to flex the basket frame at all with my bare hands.

sign me "Disgruntled Greenback Guy"

Noodler:
Thanks! I didn't realize that I had posted the 16 ohm version.

Been there, done that. If you only play at home it might be fine. If you go out and crank the amp up full blast you will experience doubts.

Besides, I have this odd idea that when I have a speaker in my hands, I should not be able to flex the basket frame at all with my bare hands.

Does it just turn to mush at higher volumes?
I fully agree with the frame weakness issue!

Pappy:
How does the Gold hold up to high gain at really high volumes?
I use this amp as a backup when my Heartbreaker has a bad tube or any other issue.
How did the Gold affect your clean tones?
I had one in a Lonestar Classic 1x12. It came with the speaker. Sounded incredible, but it would pop if pushed, so I never really cranked the amp.

I just read some of Pappy's comments on other threads and am wondering about the Celestion Gold.
I don't play metal anymore, but my distortion tones are usually very heavy.
Would the Gold stand up to medium speed playing with the gain set to about 3:00 on the Burn setting?

The last thing I want is a speaker that looses clarity with gain and volume.

Well, some things came up and it looks like the 10VS fits my budget much more than the Gold does!
Probably just as well. I always start off mellow and end up agro. **** gain knob just turns itself up when I'm not looking! :mrgreen:

Monsta-Tone said:
I just read some of Pappy's comments on other threads and am wondering about the Celestion Gold.
I don't play metal anymore, but my distortion tones are usually very heavy.
Would the Gold stand up to medium speed playing with the gain set to about 3:00 on the Burn setting?

The last thing I want is a speaker that looses clarity with gain and volume.

I play Blues and Classic rock, using a variety of single coil and HB equipped guitars. I mostly play Clean, or in the Blues mode. I really don't use the burn, or crunch modes too much, especially in a band, or gigging situation.
I do use a clean boost and an OD pedal for leads, or to add a little oomph!
No matter what I'm playing, the G-10 blows the doors off the stock 10" that was in there. It's totally broke in now and I just love it.
I can't really help you on heavy amp based distorted tone. But this thing sounds great w/no matter what I throw at it.
I will say the amp's Cleans are crisp and clear and the in the Blues mode, let's a little dirt shine through. Great single note definition and buttery chord tone.
The overall sound I get w/ the G-10 is so **** cool and satisfying in both the 5 and 25 watt settings. I'm no expert, but for my tastes it's the best sounding 10" speaker I've ever used.
I usually play gigs mic'ed w/ volume around 11 o'clock in the 25 watt mode.
I've had guitar players from other bands come up and ask me what I had in the amp, because they were impressed by my tone. So much mojo out of such a little amp :D

Monsta-Tone said:

No.

You are much better off in that case with the 10VS. The Gold is not,imo, made nor intended for that type of sound. I can almost guarantee you would have regrets with that scenario.....

Latest posts

Back