Celestion Century Neo speaker in a MKIV ? only 4LBS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamme61

Reaction score
has anyone tried a Celestion Century Neo speaker in a MKIV combo? I have a Widebody MKIV coming and I like to get the weight down. The Neo weighs only 4LBS wich I think is about 10 to 12lbs less, Right?

i have just took one ut of my mk iv and put in the ev and ithink they are a very similar sounding speaker but maybe the ev has a bit more body
and wasnt sure whether the speaker on its own would hanle the power the boogie can give out. they seem to have a clean sound with more attack copared to the c 90 but are good sounding speaker

great! did you notice a big difference in weight? Thanks for the info.

I've heard them in a Marshall cab... I was not impressed, they were very bright, hardly any bottom end. The mids sounded full but synthetic. Not very organic. The amp was a JCM 2K DSL 100W w/deep switch engaged.

the neo makes the boogie a lot lighter especially compared to the ev
as guitarzan says it is a bright sounding speaker but sounded good to me
but sound is subjective and everybody has different preferences depending on playing styles and influences so if possible it might be a idea to try one :)

forgot to say have you tried the celestion website cos its got sound clips
of the different speakers and might give you a better idea of the sound of them

I've been to the site and I just got the G12 Century Vintage Neo version, which I think is less bright, but also only good up to 60 watts. I'm still waiting for the amp and will need time with the stk speaker. I'll get back with my findings, but like you said, it's so subjective. thanks for all the info. I hope it sounds good.

the celestion century vintage sounds great!
i had it in my mark IIC+ combo back before i sold it.
i never cranked it without a 4x12, but when playing at a normal volume it wasn't bad.
i had them in a recto 2x12, which sounded great.

Yes! sounds good to me. I'm getting to old to lift this stuff. I was going for the head, because of weight, but I got a great price on the widebody combo, so I'm a little worried about the weight.

Back