Celestion C90

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here we go again.

I say it's the celestion classic lead 80 relabeled. But if you followed the topic of "marshallcabs and mesa" one can say it's a specific mesa speakers. I firmly stand on my believes though

chennie said:
I say it's the celestion classic lead 80 relabeled.

I have to agree that it is most likely a relabel. I can't see celestion building a speaker specially for a vedor. Mind you, order enough of them and anything is possible.

brianf

brianf said:
chennie said:
I say it's the celestion classic lead 80 relabeled.

I have to agree that it is most likely a relabel. I can't see celestion building a speaker specially for a vedor. Mind you, order enough of them and anything is possible.

brianf

Why not? Eminence builds a specific speaker for VHT. I think it's similar to the classic lead 80, but I don't think it sounds exactly the same.

brianf said:
I can't see celestion building a speaker specially for a vedor. Mind you, order enough of them and anything is possible.

brianf

They do build specialty speakers, and why wouldn't they. If your customer wants something, you'd better build it.
They have a specially voiced V30 in the Bad Cat amps, which is noticably different than the stock V30.
But as far as the C90 being a cl80, i dunno.

It is easy for a manufacturer to change the doping on the speaker surround from light to heavy. It also isn't a big deal to change from a straight to ribbed, or other type of cone. These changes can make subtle differences in the tone and breakup characteristics without having a major effect on the manufacturing cost of the speaker. Check out the WeberVST web site for descriptions of some of these tonal differences.

My understanding is that it is a C80 that's been modded to Mesa's specs...whether modded by Celestion or Mesa, that I don't know, but Mesa makes no bones about it being a Celestion speaker. Further, if was a straight C80 I'm pretty sure they'd say so...they use the V30 in many of their amps and cabs, and didn't rename it.

I have another take on the C90.

We know for fact that the C90 is related to the Classic Lead 80. This is verificed by both Mesa and Celestion. Now, if you search the celestion website, you'll also find that the cheaper 70/80 is also related to Classic Lead 80. It's also a hell of a lot cheaper. If I were running mesa, and cold hard economics were an important driving force for product development, I'd be after a good, reliable, cheap option for speakers. Problem is that having a 70/80 sticker on the back of your speakers aint gonna go down very well. Solution,... call it something else.

One way to check I guess would be to measure the weight of the C90 and see how close that it to the weight of the 70/80.

Whatcha think???

Considering that Mesa's willing to pay more to get English made V30s instead of the cheaper Chinese V30.....I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

One difference is that the Mesa driver has a vented pole piece the Lead 80 does not. Other than that I can't tell you what other changes were made.

I emailed Celestion (Dr. Decibel) about this a year ago or so. Here is their response:

"The Mesa speaker is a special design for them and is not available as a
standard Celestion product. It is tonally similar to the Classic Lead 80
but there are design differences.
best regards
The Doctor"

I had posted this yesterday in another thread.

One way to check I guess would be to measure the weight of the C90 and see how close that it to the weight of the 70/80.

Another way may be to look at a C90. They have G12H 80 printed on them. THey have the heavy magnet.

TW

The M/C 90 is made in England by Celestion to Mesa's spec's. I got this info from Mike Bendenelli at Mesa. I've known Mike for years, I believe he is being truthful on this subject.
I've done direct comparisons of the Classic Lead 80, the old G12-80, and the 70/80 with the M/C 90. They are not the same. They are all similar, but each one is slightly different. I liked the M/C 90 best, because it was the warmest sounding, with the best bass response. The speaker that was closest to it was the old G12-80. That one has the vent on the back of the magnet.

Joey707 said:
I've done direct comparisons of the Classic Lead 80, the old G12-80, and the 70/80 with the M/C 90. They are not the same. They are all similar, but each one is slightly different.

That's quite interesting. How would you compare the qualities of each of these speakers? I've often wondered about how sale price affects market perception. Did the 70/80 sound noticable 'worse' or was the vibe similar to the other 3? As an experiment (hypothetical of course!), it would be interesting to release a 70/80 with a whopping price tag and suitable literature and see how people react to it.

Since you guys are discussing the MC90, what's the deal with the Fillmore 90?

I wouldn't say that any of these speakers sounded "worse" than the others. The M/C 90, Classic Lead 80, and the old G12-80 are very similar. They all have the 50 oz. magnet and may even use the same cone. Although I don't remember for sure. The M/C 90 is smoother sounding with more bottom end than the other 2 models. The 70/80 has a smaller 31 oz. magnet. It had less low end than the others and was brighter IMO.
The last I heard about the Fillmore 90 was that it was going to happen but no one knew when. That was about a year ago. So who knows?

I don't know. The Fillmore speakers have been in the price list for awhile now but haven't been available.

Who makes the Fillmore? Is it a speaker company brand? Or is it a name tag having to do with "fillmore" tone, like Duane Allman at the Fillmore or something?

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd let you know I tested the 2 (C90 and 70/80). Very different structure and weight. Consider my words eaten,...

Latest posts

Back