Cash in hand....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Furvel said:
Newysurfer said:
so you bought a new 5:50 1x12 combo with a Vintage 30 speaker for $US940....is that right :mrgreen:

My bad, I totally messed up this part of the discussion :oops:. I bought a used 5:25 w/Vin 30... My mistakes: A) I had mixed in comments about various new and used options throughout the thread, so I should have been more specific when mentioning exactly what I purchased. B) I failed to notice that a 5:50 was specified in the US/UK price comparison by UKBoogieboy. Apologies all around, folks. Hope you can understand I was a little excited when I initially posted about my purchase. It is my first Mesa, after all. :D

I'm still happy with the deal I got, though. Fed Ex says it'll be here Friday. That gives me a week until the next gig to get comfy with it.

No prob's furvel :mrgreen:
Buying used is always better value IMO.
And the 1x12" V30 model is the best 5:25 there is IMO.
Do a tube swap and it'll be even better
Enjoy

Newysurfer said:
No prob's furvel :mrgreen:
Buying used is always better value IMO.
And the 1x12" V30 model is the best 5:25 there is IMO.
Do a tube swap and it'll be even better
Enjoy

Had to have it re-routed to my new work site, since I won't be home to sign for it. Hope to have it Thursday, still in plenty of time for my next gig on the 16th. I'll get familiar with the amp and then do some research on the tube swap. I see Doug's Tubes mentioned quite a bit around here, are there any other vendors I should investigate?

Got my 5:25 from the FedEx man today! After unpacking and installed the tubes, I gave it a workout at home and came away very impressed. It's got a big sound for being only slightly larger than my Cube 60. I'm really diggin' the blues mode, and the way all the modes react to softer/harder attack. I'm extremely surprised at how well my Blues Driver sounds in the front end. My last tube amp (Fender HRD) "fattened up" too much with the BD on, but when used with the 5:25 I can retain the cutting, "razor" quality of the Strat while adding the proper amount of bite.

That's what I was looking for... bite. This amp can growl, snarl and has bite. Can't wait to take it to the gig Saturday. I do have a question, though. How many owners take the footswitch & bag out of the amp and permanently store it somewhere else?? That switch is huge compared to the space available for its storage, and wacking the tubes seems like an inevitability. Just wondering....

Newysurfer said:
UKBoogieboy said:
Newysurfer said:
I know you got distance issues but I just wouldn't ever spend near $1000 on anything I hadn't fully tested first.

1000 USD, thats not so bad, the 5.50 here is around 1600 GBP here, making it around the 3000 USD price range, you got those amps so cheap you don'y know how lucky you are.

5:50 combo's cost around $US 1100 in the US.... lucky bastards for sure :mrgreen:
Mine cost me US$2500 in Australia 2 yrs ago.

Well, I was going to make some smart-*** remark about how the exchange rate was to blame, but I just Googled it, and yeah, it sucks for you! Your dollar is equivalent to 0.9 of ours, which means you are paying WAY more than we are. Totally unfair, though I'm sure that international shipping and customs regulations get thrown into the mix somewhere.

Back