Carvin Amps

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some experience with Carvin "X" amps, which were the first in a series of high-gain capable, channel switching, all tube amps. They are high quality and durable as a Russian Tank. One thing they have over Mesa is ease of use of the tone controls. They are straight-forward, and not interactive like Mesa's. Whether you can get the tone you want out of a Carvin is something only you can answer. With all amps, play before you buy! On the other hand, some say that Mesa's tone has more character. When looking for an amp, I tend to look for mint condition used ones, as I can get so much more for my money that way. I now play a Mesa, but believe players should have more than one amp. Carvin has a board like this one, which you can Google to find. I think they have a classified ad section that might interest you. Should I run across a mint, used Carvin close enough for me to inspect and play on, I'd be interested too, as a second amp.

I had the chance to play on a Legacy before but it was for very long. The cleans were nice and the lead was nice. It's a soloing style shred lead though. Not a heavy death metal lead channel.

Yes, the Legacy is not the amp Carvin designed for heavy lead work. As the name implies, it is sort of an updated vintage style amp. Carvin does make a whole bunch of amps of other designs and purposes. Should I ever find my mint, used Carvin to buy for a second amp, it will not be a Legacy.

Dolebludger said:
Yes, the Legacy is not the amp Carvin designed for heavy lead work. As the name implies, it is sort of an updated vintage style amp.

The original Legacy was designed in conjunction with Steve Vai to be his signature amp. The new Legacy II was designed by Ben Fargen along with Steve and the engineers at Carvin and it's now a 3-channel amp. Depending upon one's definition of "heavy lead work", it sure seems to me that the amp was designed for lead work as it's one of Steve Vai's projects.

flieger67 said:
Dolebludger said:
Yes, the Legacy is not the amp Carvin designed for heavy lead work. As the name implies, it is sort of an updated vintage style amp.

The original Legacy was designed in conjunction with Steve Vai to be his signature amp. The new Legacy II was designed by Ben Fargen along with Steve and the engineers at Carvin and it's now a 3-channel amp. Depending upon one's definition of "heavy lead work", it sure seems to me that the amp was designed for lead work as it's one of Steve Vai's projects.

I think Dolebludger and I both mean by a heavy lead channel is that it's a brutal metal sounding lead channel.

I think it is commonly known that Steve Vai uses the Legacy and has had a huge part in the design but I wouldn't call his tone brutal sounding although it's great for soloing shred.

This is probably why I wrote earlier "It's a soloing style shred lead though. Not a heavy death metal lead channel."

A friend bought a X100B over 10 years ago and it wasnt a bad amp.It didnt have the gain of a tremoverb that we compared it side by side with that my stepbrother owned but it got about as loud and it never let him down in all these years.Another person bought a Carvin Legacy amp upon seeing what luck my friend had with his X100B and it was lame.Using the same guitar,cabinets and cords it squealed and squelched like a stuck pig uncontrolably and picked up all kinds of radio interference.Even after swapping out preamp tubes no change.I think you would be better off getting a used Boogie,Rivera or other high end amp if money was factor than to get a Carvin Legacy. Bruce

Every Carvin I've ever played was a great amp (And they're built very well too, took them apart to bias, peaked at the components). I had a Legacy for 7 years, AWESOME lead tone. It's a shredders delight; but as others have mentioned it doesn't do really heavy stuff all that great. I had a cap go bad on me after 7 years of loud playing, but it was an easy fix and was up and running after that.
The cleans are really good, although they're dark and I prefer a little more "spank" to my cleans. They do have a lot of headroom though. I would love to hear how that second clean on the Legacy II sounds.

How does the Legacy sound in comparison to a Stiletto II? The Stilettos are touted as have a very good clean channel... I imagine the Legacy is a darker sounding amp than the Stiletto with a smoother lead channel? I'm more interested in the Legacy II than the Legacy.

I just sold a Legacy

Searing lead tones, great crunch and good presence excellent clean channel. Sounds awesome when boosted with a distortion pedal. Very pedal friendly amp that way. The loop is serial (I believe) there is no on/off or level for it. I didn't like my Small Clone in the loop. My delay sounded great in there.

No recto type tones out of it, but that's easily achieved with a stomp box in front.

All in all, they are great amps, built well, and sound great. More of a "lead player's" amp tho. Good note definition.

I had a Recto and there is no Recto sounds in the Stiletto either.... At least I don't hear it.... Maybe I would if I was able to try out a Legacy.

Here's an old song I did with my Legacy a long time ago. The recording quality isnt great, but it gives you a little idea as to how it sounds. Its basically just a Boss V-Wah (wish I had used a different wah, I didn't realize until later that it's a tone sucker) into the Legacy with a G-Major for delay. The Legacy has more gain on tap than I used, but not extreme in any sense of the word. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=455412&songID=4021846

Thanks for all the info. Thanks for the soundclip too that was cool.
I was thinking about replacing my DC-5 (just not "bonding" with it
I guess) and the Legacy caught my eye for whatever reason.
Anyways, I think I'll replace it with a Lonestar and use my VHT for
the harder stuff.
Thanks again!

I bought (and still have) my X100B new in 91. It came hot-rodded from the factory (gain and EQ). I used it for 9 years til I picked up my first recto. The X100B is an awesome amp. Works well with a boost, has a graphic EQ and sounds great. Very well built. Never had an issue outside of tube failure (and multi-colored mold growing on the fuzzy carpet covering). I will never get rid of this amp - because they aren't worth more than $300. Might as well hold on to it. My buddy had a legacy for awhile. Great quality too. Kinda reminded me of a lesser Ecstacy 101b.

I have a Legacy right now and dare I say I like just about everything about more than my Rect-o-Verb? I'm actually beginning to think there was something wrong with my Rect-o-verb because I don't see how almost EVERYTHING (except for the crashing sound the reverb on the Legacy sometimes makes) is better in an amp I bought for less than half as much. The tone is very crisp and and tight and the mids are nice and warm on the Legacy...it also sounds pretty compressed. In fact I could hardly tell the difference between when my Comp 66 was on or off. In comparison, the Rect-o-Verb did have deeper lows but I couldn't get much more out of it than rhythm tones.

This is why I think there was something wrong with the Rect-o-verb - I feel like there is more gain in the Legacy and the Legacy is supposed to be a vintage style amp...It seems like it's complete heresy to think that there isn't enough gain on a Recto-series but I feel like putting these two amps next to each other, there is definitely more gain on the Legacy, but maybe I just feel that way because the Legacy is so compressed.

Either way I like the Legacy better. Clean AND overdrive channel.

I have a Mesa Nomad 55 2X12 I bought used mint three months ago. I second the comment "never buy an amp without playing it first." In '87, I bought a new Mark III , fully loaded, sight unseen (and unheard). I never could get what I wanted out of that amp. Since I bought the Nomad for $599 and sold the Mark III for $1100, it may be time soon for a second amp. I still have a 27 year old Carvin hybrid with JBLs that is great on the cleans but like a chainsaw on overdrive. Built like a tank (and heavy as one). I have two Carvin guitars that are outstanding. So my "second amp" will probably be a good used Carvin. My playing (or should I say attempting?) is all over the place from jazz, country, pop, rock hard rock, and classic metal. With my second amp in mind, I'd like to try out a Carvin V 3.

Like my Nomad (and unlike my old Mark III), the V 3 has separate full and independent controls for its three channels, an over-all master volume, and a solo volume boost. But the V 3 also has some EQ and tone-shaping controls in the over-all master that I'd like to try out.

Dont forget to point out the best part about Carvins. The Price! Theyre dirt cheap new and have no resale value so you can find ridiculous deals on these guys used. The X100B's go for under 300 bucks now. Thats crazy cheap for good amp. :D

I have had Carvin gear since the late 80's. It's good stuff. I currently have 3 guitars by them a V3 Head and the Legacy 2x12 cab. Had and sold a Carvin MTS3200 Head. I like the V3 Head its pretty nice and sound good once you find your sound it takes alittle time to dial it in so it's not a plug and play amp. I also have a Dual Rec and Rec 4x12 cab.

I'm setting up a trade right now my Peavey XXX for a legacy. I'm going for Alice in Chains to Velvet Revolver type tones, lots of lead work. The XXX is a bit much for me and is a little too fizzy, I like darker amps so I'm hoping it'll work out for me. I don't need low volume as it'll only be used with my band so that's covered since I heared the legacy sucks at low volumes. Any suggestion how to set this guy up when I get it in? It'll be going through a diezel 4X12.

schmasty said:
I have had Carvin gear since the late 80's. It's good stuff. I currently have 3 guitars by them a V3 Head and the Legacy 2x12 cab. Had and sold a Carvin MTS3200 Head. I like the V3 Head its pretty nice and sound good once you find your sound it takes alittle time to dial it in so it's not a plug and play amp. I also have a Dual Rec and Rec 4x12 cab.
I own a v3 halfstack and the head is great its just the 4x12 cab it comes with is not built as well as say a mesa or bogner cab.

Latest posts

Back