Cant like the ACE. Lonestar better for me with 34's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MONGO

Reaction score
I have tried to like the stileeto ace.

I much prefer the lonestar classic with el 34's in comparison. Just cant get by the thin or edgy sound of the ace. I will sell the ace now that I have two lonestar classic amps. The ace has nice options etc but it is a dissapointment regarless of what I use with it.

The lonestar with 34's has a more organic tone to me. PLus the amp doesnt have the same bright edge to it. I mean ice pick. When you have to run the treble on 10 oclock and the presence off thats not good

If I cant run a start through an amp it isnt a great amp for me.

Anyone else ever feel the same way on the ace

+1 I'm with you, I personally did not like the ACE....although that doesn't mean its not a great amp. It's just not my sound.

I love the LSC/LSS though.

I 've tried the Ace several times - I couldn't get a pleasing Strat tone out of it either. Very Bright and brittle. It killed with humbuckers though...

The Ace can fatten up and sound really nice. Try the CRUNCH mode with the presence and treble rolled back to 2-4, gain 10, the rest about middle. With a vintage strat, sounds great --- makes a nice complement to a LSS. Not too bright, but a good crunch. I'm not a big fan of the other modes.

Undecided said:
The Ace can fatten up and sound really nice. Try the CRUNCH mode with the presence and treble rolled back to 2-4, gain 10, the rest about middle. With a vintage strat, sounds great --- makes a nice complement to a LSS. Not too bright, but a good crunch. I'm not a big fan of the other modes.

+1, the 'inbetween tones' are the best part of the Ace. I think you really need humbuckers with it to appreciate it fully personally but it can sound good with singles with the right settings. The brightness of the amp needs to be tamed for singles.

I don't consider my Ace to be overly bright at all anymore. Good tubes will make a big difference. as well as the speakers u run it with

It's all about what works for you. I personally love the amp. I have stated that it is a bright amp but man, does it cut. In fact, lately I've been running it with everything at 12:00 (adjusting the gain to suit) and every mode sounds great.

I've had mine 4 months now and it's giving me all the tones I need. I really find a use for all the modes. I spend most of my time in Tite Gain mode, though.

inkwachemis said:
I don't consider my Ace to be overly bright at all anymore. Good tubes will make a big difference. as well as the speakers u run it with

BTW, I really like the Tung-Sols in V1 and V2. I just put an Eminence Governor in mine and really, really like the midrange of this speaker. It's smooth/warm but still has that British grind.

Yes it is a greta amp. Not my taste

But if you like 34s and I do try the lonestar with them. Sweet!!!!

SoCalSteve said:
inkwachemis said:

BTW, I really like the Tung-Sols in V1 and V2. I just put an Eminence Governor in mine and really, really like the midrange of this speaker. It's smooth/warm but still has that British grind.

YUP!!! tungsols in v1 and v2 definitely! did u retube the power section too?

the governors eh? nice nice. i hear they are like a v30 but less harsh midrange.

I'd like to try a 4x12 cab with governors and swamp thangs X-patterned one day. i think it'd be pretty killer.

I love the Ace but i did have to change out the Vintage 30s and tube swap. I installed 2 H75s and 2 H 55s Scumbacks in my 4X12 and the sound and feel is totally awesome. I recently sold my 30s and some pedals I didnt use to fund the swap. I'm 100% satisfied with these speakers, right of the bat they were smooth and dynamic. I was a little concerned they could only do classic rock but that is simply not the case. They're killer for tuning down nice and tight. I liked V30s in my Dual Rec but couldnt live with the harshness it was wearing me out. My prescence is now on channel 1 @11:30 and channel 2 12:30!! Treble is noonish. I can also play my PRS with the treble pickup without the grinding highs. My Strat doesnt fell tinny or harsh at all either sounds inspiring. I'm totally stoked on this setup 8)

I came to the same conclusion. I owned an Ace for about a month and ended up taking it back because I couldn't deal with the thin overly bright tone. I guess I am just really accustomed to the thick and warm tone of my LSC. I wanted very badly to like the Ace, but in the end it just wasn't the right amp for me.

MONGO said:
I have tried to like the stileeto ace.

I much prefer the lonestar classic with el 34's in comparison. Just cant get by the thin or edgy sound of the ace. I will sell the ace now that I have two lonestar classic amps. The ace has nice options etc but it is a dissapointment regarless of what I use with it.

The lonestar with 34's has a more organic tone to me. PLus the amp doesnt have the same bright edge to it. I mean ice pick. When you have to run the treble on 10 oclock and the presence off thats not good

If I cant run a start through an amp it isnt a great amp for me.

Anyone else ever feel the same way on the ace

Try rolling the treble way back and get the bass amount you want then bring the mids up slowly to your liking . Same with the presence . add to your taste . I suggest just plucking an open low E string all the while . how you add the mids have alot to do with the end result .

I bought an Ace today an absolutely love it so far. I actually bought it 5 hours before me gig and took it with me for a test run (perfect test ground)

I was using a Line 6 Flextone III previously.

In my opinion, the Stiletto is the Marshall alternative, and not necisarrily a Boogie type amp. If you are in the market for a Marshall but considering a Mesa, take a look. If you are looking for a "Boogie", move on....

The Stiletto is bright, but easily compensated for and smoother than a Marahall....

Back