Can you convert a combo into a head?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broknstuff

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is mainly hypothetical since I don't have enough funds to buy anything new now, but would really like to know this:

Can you take the 'guts' (ie amp) out of a combo and then place it in an empty head case? I have a recto but in my silly 'dream rig' world inside my head have tossed around the idea of how cool it'd be to throw a stiletto in and run both live (or lend to my band mate if they're amp goes down / sounds like ****). I haven't played the stiletto yet but hope to soon, but assuming I like it:

Is it possible to get the 2x12 combo version, and somehow order an 'empty' head case and then swap the guts out easily, with just a few screws here and there to tighten? I kind of like the idea of having this amp as a combo for lower gain stuff as well, and maybe use it by itself for smaller gigs or when i want to carry around less stuff. But then I'd still like the option of having it as a head that I can use with another cabinet and/or along side other equipment. I know you can have the combo power an additional cabinet, but I don't want to have to carry around the whole combo if I'm only going to be using the amp side of it.

Hope that was clear enough,

Diego

broknstuff said:
Hey guys, this is mainly hypothetical since I don't have enough funds to buy anything new now, but would really like to know this:

Can you take the 'guts' (ie amp) out of a combo and then place it in an empty head case? I have a recto but in my silly 'dream rig' world inside my head have tossed around the idea of how cool it'd be to throw a stiletto in and run both live (or lend to my band mate if they're amp goes down / sounds like sh!t). I haven't played the stiletto yet but hope to soon, but assuming I like it:

Is it possible to get the 2x12 combo version, and somehow order an 'empty' head case and then swap the guts out easily, with just a few screws here and there to tighten? I kind of like the idea of having this amp as a combo for lower gain stuff as well, and maybe use it by itself for smaller gigs or when i want to carry around less stuff. But then I'd still like the option of having it as a head that I can use with another cabinet and/or along side other equipment. I know you can have the combo power an additional cabinet, but I don't want to have to carry around the whole combo if I'm only going to be using the amp side of it.

Hope that was clear enough,

Diego

for sure with the Mark series you can do that. Mesa makes cabinets for rackmount versions. i dont know if it's true with the Rectos tho. i'm almost sure not.

I can't say with absolute certainty, but it should be possible. I would imagine the chassis is the same dimensions between head and combo version. I used to own an H&K Triamp that was a combo converted to head.
One issue is orientation of the chassis. In other words, in the combo the chassis basically is upside down with tubes pointing towards the floor. The head has the tubes pointing up.
It has been a few years and I am not recalling how this was worked around in my Triamp. The front plate on that amp was somehow flipped and read correctly. However, the backpanel was all screenprinted just like on the Mesas so it was upside down. This actually was kinda cool if you were standing over the amp :)

You said you do not want to carry the entire combo if not using it. Is that because of the weight or the size?

i started a thread about the same topic a few days ago

my LSS combo sounds MUCH better through a 2x12 closed back cabinet, so i' to remove the amp part from the combo and place it into a head cabinet

the local mesa dealer said mesa is "closed" this week, so next week i'll try to price a head cabinet

someone suggested selling the combo and simply buying a head, but the loss on selling the used combo would probably be at least $300-400, and it seems a head cabinet should not be more than that

so my question was/is what companies out there make head cabinet???

a goggle search didn't help too much

my LSS combo sounds MUCH better through a 2x12 closed back cabinet, so i' to remove the amp part from the combo and place it into a head cabinet

the local mesa dealer said mesa is "closed" this week, so next week i'll try to price a head cabinet

someone suggested selling the combo and simply buying a head, but the loss on selling the used combo would probably be at least $300-400, and it seems a head cabinet should not be more than that

so my question was/is what companies out there make head cabinet???

my LSS combo sounds MUCH better through a 2x12 closed back cabinet, so i'd to remove the amp part from the combo and place it into a head cabinet

so the question was/is what companies out there make head cabinet???

I have done this several times on my own and other's Mesa's.
Not to mention other brands of amps. I just make the cabs myself, out of solid pine or other solid wood (depending on what the person wants). I do it up with dovetail joints and clear lacquer. Two I have covered in tolex.
When I make my own I tend to make the box a little taller than a standard head so I can sneak a one space rack unit in the bottom ( it never adds much to the overall height).
I don’t use particle board (MDF), it’s stupid and weighs to **** much LOL. I do not use plywood either, I don’t think box joints are strong enough (even though I know they are).
Here's examples of my DC-5 combo
Uncovered.jpg

Then into a head
Mesa001.jpg

I also made a matching oversized 1x12 cab for it.
mesa007small.jpg

I'm doing the same thing for my Nomad 100 head (making an oversized head cab in solid pine).
It's fairly cheap really, well I guess if you have the tools already and have a little know how it is. But it is more than possible.

CRAP!!!!!!!!!!! I forgot the link, the place to go for cab making is http://www.vibroworld.com
Those guys make cool stuff, a bit spendy, but less than Mesa most times.
Obviously why I do it myself. :D.
Seems they are closed for who knows how long though.

E_R thanks for the link, those cases you've made look GREAT, I just don't have the tools or experience to make my own.

boogieslide: For both, size and weight issues. If I was doing a 2 amp into one cab (maybe a stereo 4x12 like my recto cab) then I wouldn't want to have to carry around the extra weight and size if I'm not going to need or use it.

I guess if/when this does happen I'll first contact mesa about it to double check, but that link E_R gave seems to have just the thing.

thanks!

E_R that's some really nice woodwork on the conversions - I love the jointing.

Pity I can't do it myself...

I did not take pictures, but we took a lonestar classic 1x12 combo, removed everything, scibed a line and cut it, cut the botom off, glued it to the top, recovered the grill-it became a head, and was used with a 2x12 cab it sounded much better. This will work perfectly if you are very meticulous in your carpentry.

Thanks,
Hey stash49 cool idea, I actually used to do that to cheap Peavey combos and resell them. For some reason they sell better as heads... go figure???
I don't do it to boogies and the like because I want to retain the option of returning it to stock.
I would make head or combo cabs for the members here, problem is needing the amp in question to ensure precise fit and all that crap...and I know I wouldn't want to send my amp off to some dude on the net LOL.
( I do have a business on the net making basses and guitars, but that's not really the same).
I have been toying with the idea of making guitar cabs in the same fasion as my own (solid wood with dovetail joints, natural and different stained colors, but that's a ways in the works.
I would see what Vibro world has to say, wonder when they are going to re open though, I need another handle :D :D

e r

nice work

well if you have any interest to attempt a lone star special head, please let me know

E_R said:
CRAP!!!!!!!!!!! I forgot the link, the place to go for cab making is http://www.vibroworld.com
Those guys make cool stuff, a bit spendy, but less than Mesa most times.
Obviously why I do it myself. :D.
Seems they are closed for who knows how long though.

They have been closed for about a year now. A member of another forum that I belong to who used them regularly stated that Vibro World is out of business.

I was wanting to buy some Mesa grille cloth from them. I'm sorry I waited now. I too have plans of making my DC-5 into a head. It is just too heavy for this old back.

I also made a matching oversized 1x12 cab for it.
mesa007small.jpg

What equipment did you use to do this dovetail joints ?
I don't know how to cut wood this way !
thanks

broknstuff said:

Can you take the 'guts' (ie amp) out of a combo and then place it in an empty head case? I have a recto but in my silly 'dream rig' world inside my head have tossed around the idea of how cool it'd be to throw a stiletto in and run both live (or lend to my band mate if they're amp goes down / sounds like sh!t). I haven't played the stiletto yet but hope to soon, but assuming I like it:

Yes, I did it with my Tremoverb. I talked w/ the MESA rep from my area and then I ordered it from a local dealer. I think the cost was $200 or $250. I ordered it (and a 4x12 Standard Recto Cab) w/ Tan Grille. The upcharge for the grill was either $125 or $150 for each item. here's a pic: http://balderdashrecords.com/Images/DSCF0007.JPG

You'll see that the chasis is "upside down". On the combo, it was mounted to the top, but on the head version it's mounted on the bottom. A bit of a pain to get used to, but a good conversation piece.

nice upside down control panel!!!!!!

next week i'll be talking with mesa and see what the LSS head cabinet costs

Sombra, I do it with this piece of equipment. http://www.leighjigs.com/d1600.php
Thank you geddyentwistle, I'm sure I could do a lonestar, but since I don't own one or know anyone that owns one, I have no way to make it and ensure perfect fit :? :)
Maybe that should be my excuse to buy one of every messa chassi style LOL, so I can make and sell custom cabs....maybe not. I'll just stick to making to basses, guitars and maybe a few hardwood cabs. :D

Back