Can the Mark IV...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeldragonjovi

Reaction score
I am really in a hot debate of whether to get a Mark IV or Roadster. Can the Mark IV get the sharp rhythm tones the Roadster can? I mean, the presence on the rectos are just really great sounding, can the Mark IV do that?

If anything I think the Mark IV will have a sharper/brighter attack than the Recto line will. The third channel of the Rectos can get pretty brutal as far as presence but the Mark IV feels 'tighter' to me for rhythm. Both are great amps so I suggest you play both and see what's right for you but overall I would say yes to your question and that if you want a super tight metal tone I would rock the Mark.

The Mark IV can definately do bright rhythm sounds. It can do anything really. It's the tightest/clearest most versatile amp I ever played, nuff said.

The mark IVs' can be tweeked to be bright but not as sharp because no matter how much gain you or EQ you use, the mark IV is a really tight smooth amp. Play one, and spend lots of time with one.

So, are you implying that I can get recto tones from the Mark?

I guess a good example of what tone I'm searching for is from Dream Theater's Glass Prison song, the first guitar chords that come in. Those are what I'm looking for in rhythm.

Glass Prison, Creed, Alter Bridge = recto.. Mark IV can't touch that subsonic territory as well. It will sound good, but it won't have that massive low end wallop that the recto does.

They are completely different beasts with different pluses and minuses. You have to find which one sings to you more. The Mark IV is the more versatile amplifier in my opinion.

I'm biased towards the Rectifier tones, I love to feel the ground shake when I hit my 7 strings hard, and think they are very versatile. But neither amp will get the tones of the other, they are different worlds. I don't think the Mark IV can sound like a Recto and I don't think the Recto can sound like a Mark IV. It's hard to explain the difference in tone between the two, because there is some middle ground they share, but they feel completely different when you're playing them. I'd take my recto over a mark IV anyday, but that's me, and I'm in the minority with that.

Toneaddict, you're a minority only in the vintage forum. :wink:

Latest posts

Back