Can I use a 16ohm speaker cab with a Mesa Boogie Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanRipper

Reaction score
I have a marshall 2x12 speaker cabinet loaded with 1 vintage and 1 heritage speaker. It is a 16ohm cabinet. Can I connect a Mesa Boogie Mark IV head to this cabinet? I don't see a 16 ohm speaker out on the mesa head. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ed

yes the perfect matching is the same output impendance from the amp and the same input impedance of the cabinet.
but if you can´t match the impedances is perfectly to get a CABINET WITH HIGHER IMPEDANCE THAN OUTPUT IMPEDANCE OF THE AMP.
The matter with this issue is that you will feel a less power.
If you do the opposite thing. Connect less impedance of cabinet that output impendance you maybe will destroy your power tubes, and transforms

VanRipper said:
I have a marshall 2x12 speaker cabinet loaded with 1 vintage and 1 heritage speaker. It is a 16ohm cabinet. Can I connect a Mesa Boogie Mark IV head to this cabinet? I don't see a 16 ohm speaker out on the mesa head. Any suggestions?Thanks,Ed
Yes, just plug it into the 8 ohm output, Or since it is a 16 ohm cab you have two eight ohm speakers wired in series, you could rewire the speaker cab for parallel (a simple operation) and plug it into the 4 0hm output of the Mark IV. The latter suggestion will be a more correct impedence match.

Back