Can I switch cabs with the amp in Standby?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titan7

Reaction score
Is it safe to disconnect the speaker cab from the amp when it's in standby or is that still bad for the OT? I wanted to try a couple different cabs out but it a pain to power down and power up each time, however it's that's the correct way to do it I will.

titan7 said:
Is it safe to disconnect the speaker cab from the amp when it's in standby or is that still bad for the OT? I wanted to try a couple different cabs out but it a pain to power down and power up each time, however it's that's the correct way to do it I will.

Switching cabs with the amp in standby mode is fine. I would recommend waiting for 5 seconds or so before removing the lead from the cab.

I switch back and forth between just combo, just thiele, combo+thiele. I leave the amp on, and always leave one output jack occupied. Does that make sense?

Using both -> both 4 ohm jacks occupied. Switching to just the thiele, remove thiele cable, plug into 8 ohm output, unplug combo speaker cable. Or vice versa. The amp always has a load, and a number of us have proven that (with the boogies anyway) you can underload them or overload them without too much difficulty. (Boogiebabies runs three 8ohm speakers, one out of each speaker jack).

Oh, and here is the best way to determine if your amp can be unloaded while on standby:

turn it on, leave it on standby, leave it hooked up to a speaker. turn everything all the way up. if you don't hear anything it's ok. if you hear static or anything coming out of the speaker it's a bad idea. (I have never heard an amp make noise while on standby.)

phyrexia said:
Oh, and here is the best way to determine if your amp can be unloaded while on standby:

turn it on, leave it on standby, leave it hooked up to a speaker. turn everything all the way up. if you don't hear anything it's ok. if you hear static or anything coming out of the speaker it's a bad idea. (I have never heard an amp make noise while on standby.)

That's because they don't. When an amp is on standby, there is no DC current going through the tubes, only the tube heaters. So, the amp is basically "off", but keeping the tubes heated up.

It's safe to switch cabinets with it on standby.

yeah I know, but I say that as a disclaimer. some bogners have a standby switch on the footswitch but it's really just an output mute, not a real standby.

I guess in that case, it was a good idea to say that. I wasn't trying to be a d*ck, even though after reading my last post I sounded like one. My apologies for coming off like that, phyrexia.

Back