Can I run my Mark V directly into a computer with Slave?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedKlouD72

Reaction score
There's so much I don't know about amplifiers.

Way to go me, making my first post here mega Noobish... but ummm

Can I run a guitar cable out of the SlaveOutput and into my M-Audio or Lexicon recording interface?

I really don't get what the SlaveOutput is for. There's little about it in the manual.

Hellp

Yes you can, just make sure you still have your speakers hooked up.

Never, Never, Never run a tube amp without a speaker load. You will fry your Output Transformer.

Welcome to The Board.

Dom

domct203 said:
Yes you can, just make sure you still have your speakers hooked up.

Never, Never, Never run a tube amp without a speaker load. You will fry your Output Transformer.

Welcome to The Board.

Dom

As in... While going into my computer, the amp speakers will be making the sounds that they normally make?

thank you! and is this something that you do?

Ooookaayy...

I've found that rigging this directly produces an ungodly cat hiss guitar tone.

I'm going to stick with recording the amplifier with my SM57...

what benefit is this Slave feature supposed to provide?

The slave output is exactly as it implies you can use it to slave to other amplifiers.
To run directly into a sound card you would req a cabinet simulator.

JD said:
The slave output is exactly as it implies you can use it to slave to other amplifiers.
To run directly into a sound card you would req a cabinet simulator.

This.

You could also run the slave into an Axe FX and use the cabinet sims in there.

Or, run the slave into a mixer, or USB interface, and then into your computer. The Slave, or DI was designed for use at gigs where you can just use a patch cord from the slave to the house sound system to either feed the monitors, or the PA.

The slave out has to go through a DI like an ULTRA-G DI which does speaker emulation otherwise your going to feed you PA system with a whole lot of Bee'zzzzz flying around.

Dude...

Slave out -> Firewire Computer Audio Interface or into Line IN.
You will get mega fizz...but thats normal....coz thats the SLAVE OUT SIGNAL!

You will (like the others noted) need to use Impulse Responses in your DAW to get the kickass recordworthy sound.

ENJOY \m/

HeadlessAxeman said:
Dude...

Slave out -> Firewire Computer Audio Interface or into Line IN.
You will get mega fizz...but thats normal....coz thats the SLAVE OUT SIGNAL!

You will (like the others noted) need to use Impulse Responses in your DAW to get the kickass recordworthy sound.

ENJOY \m/

Hey, maybe you can help/clarify.

I just bought an M-Audio profire 2626 (a firewire interface).

What exactly does Impulse Responses in my DAW mean? start from square one if you can. I have no idea what you are talking about.

And can guitar rig 3 be considered a cab simulator?

^ Delayed response..sorry.

Hopefully you've already found the answer and well on your way to using IR's.
If not, I'm not sure how Guitar Rig 3 cab simulators work because it might be proprietary information. They might have blown it up to be this complex thing they are doing with the signal, but in reality might just be applying an IR...I don't know :)

This might be a starting point for you to read up on albeit, the IR below is for reverb and not cab/mic sim...essentially the same thing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolution_reverb

but I can tell you this, when you apply an IR (that of a miced cab sim) to your firewire interface signal...and run the mix 100%wet and roll back the IR plugin gain a little bit to -6db, you'll find yourself sounding like in a professional studio..with pro rigs.

Hope this helps

If I remember correctly the manual says the Slave is NOT for recording at all!

It is for running another amp.

The signal is WAY to hot for recording.

From the manual:
A SLAVE OUTPUT and SLAVE LEVEL Control allows you to capture the full sound of the MARK V, both preamp and power section, for a feed to processing racks and/or additional power amps (perhaps MESA Stereo Rack power) for big venue applications.

Like jjBoogie said, the Slave signal is way too hot, but I use it for recording with the slave level just around 9 or 10 o clock position if viewed from the backside of the chassis.

he´s going to enter in a hell with the impulses and all that sh** :lol:

Latest posts

Back