Can anyone help me to get a Chunky tone from my amp ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metallicaseeker

Reaction score
So, i'm afraid of have made the wrong choise about my amp insted of choise a rectifier... I'm looking into my Mark V a Chunky and bass soud to do some riffs, but i can not find it so well....i saw on some topics that it'a imposible get a rectifer sound form the Mark V...i do not know if it's true, but can anyone tell me a setting, and the Geq to get the maximum of Chunky and Bassier sound, to looks like a rectifier or a diezel vh4, on the channal 2 or 3 ... The Best Config that i found until now is this one:
MKVader2.jpg

Can anyone help me to get what i looking for ?

Thak you all!

I have a Mark V and a Dual Recto. I feel that I can authoritatively say that the Mark V is totally incapable of sounding like a Recto.

I found these to be a good starting point.

http://www.johnpetrucci.com/gear.htm

Is your cab open or closed back? A closed back will add more chunk. Also try Triode mode on CH 3.

I've had a Triple Rec and a Roadster -- the Mark V definitely does not have the same low end.

CH 3, Extreme mode, EQ on in classic "V" but with mid slider almost to half.

90 watt, Pentode, Bold.

Now, if you want a Recto sound... You need a Recto.

Dude...more than anything else...your GEQ settings and your speaker cab is/are the culprit here.

Your lower and upper end mids on the GEQ need to be be higher..and your scoop is on the extreme side. Anyone who knows a Mark V will tell you ...the GEQ plays a huge role in the shape of your sound....Moderate the V shape...don't make it shallow..but don't push the extremes on some the sliders like you did.

Also..these should be corrected
Master Volume (Channel 3) = Set to 9:00 or 10:00 for the full tone to kick in
Mids and Bass (Channel 3) - roll it down a bit....u're treating the Mark V like a Rectifier..the voicing is different.

And just use the Mark IV and Mark IIC settings in Channel 3 and LET YOUR EARS GET USED TO IT :)

A Mark V Owns a Rectifier anyday..and this is coming from someone who was a pro-rectifier fan
:)

HeadlessAxeman said:
Dude...more than anything else...your GEQ settings and your speaker cab is/are the culprit here.

Your lower and upper end mids on the GEQ need to be be higher..and your scoop is on the extreme side. Anyone who knows a Mark V will tell you ...the GEQ plays a huge role in the shape of your sound....Moderate the V shape...don't make it shallow..but don't push the extremes on some the sliders like you did.

Also..these should be corrected
Master Volume (Channel 3) = Set to 9:00 or 10:00 for the full tone to kick in
Mids and Bass (Channel 3) - roll it down a bit....u're treating the Mark V like a Rectifier..the voicing is different.

And just use the Mark IV and Mark IIC settings in Channel 3 and LET YOUR EARS GET USED TO IT :)

A Mark V Owns a Rectifier anyday..and this is coming from someone who was a pro-rectifier fan
:)

I found the BEST settings until now to have a chunky and brutal sound from my mark!! The palm mutes are animal!! Now i'm really happy yahoooo kkkk check it out :
OgAAAHNwmVlZOnhpoFXAm9Q9A-LnonF8UPMH98sO2PLR_G1tkzM4jtdmD_3t9Apw_2C5_qpXE8R1XWyZitguzQtFphMAm1T1UEAUTxnokkEw-yr7TJiqjG7vJSYF.jpg

I using mark IV + Triode (pentode i have more punch, but the triodo mode is more smooth, more organic sound)+ Full Power ...if i use variac power, it gets more chunck but less punch, and it get very alike the metallica black album....

Who needs a rectitifier if has a Mark V kkkkkkkkkkkkkk...i kidding, i khow that its taste, but now i know that i have an amp that i can extract what i want!

hauhauhahuahhahauahuau :lol:

The MV needs to be CRANKED to get a good chunky palm mute tone. I find it sounds great on CH1 & 2 at lower volumes but CH3 sounds weak and thin at low volumes. If you are not playing it LOUD that may be your problem. Try the channel and master volume at noon or higher and it will really open up.

Here is a very good tone for metal.
Channel? 3 with Gain=3, Master=10, Presence=11, Treble=3, Mid=10, Bass=9:30. Classic V shape eq with sliders on. Output=9. Variac power, Triode, and 10w mode.

Back