Can anyone help me identify this Boogie?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitartommy5150

Reaction score
I was hoping someone could help me indentify this Boogie. Thank you in advance! -Tommy
DSC00709.jpg

DSC00711.jpg

DSC00712.jpg

DSC00715.jpg
b]

Looks like an old Studio .22

Does it have two EL-84 power tubes? If so it's a .22

IF it has four EL-84's it's a early .50 Caliber

Here is a link to the manuals. http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/user_manuals.htm

Either a Studio or Studio Plus. (or not)

22+ has a Lead Master on the front panel. So this is not a an original "Plus" . Looks like it's been modded to something similar.

Yes - this looks like a USA version (220v or 110v? ground lift maybe a clue) early Studio Caliber, probably a .22 (as said: 2x EL84s=.22 but there were .38, .44 and .50 versions with EL84s or 6V6s). They started in 1985 I think.

There may be a serial number or date on the chassis.

Your pictured one has been modified with Lead Gain and Lead Master on the rear of the amp.
The .22+ was out in late 1988 and has a Lead Master on the front panel. Graphic EQs can be on either standard or '+' versions.

Note the Marshall speaker - not the (Celestion) Black Shadow later ones have. Could have been a user speaker swop.

The rear panel states "Class A" but they are actually "Class AB" according to my amp man.

Like all old amps I would seriously recommend a good service and 'Tune-Up'. I've just cleaned all contacts & inside my pots for first time in 22 years and the dull hissy amp has been transformed into a fine sounding Boogie.
I used Deoxit D5 (contacts) and Faderlube F5 (potentiometer carbon track and slider pots) but anything similar may be ok to use.

Footswitch resistor, R131, usually burns out and should be replaced with 1k, 2watt version. Find free schematic online.

If I am not wrong, it is an early series of the Studio .22 which, with the Lead Master addition, it becomes a Studio .22+

With the further addition of a Lead Drive pot, you can now set independently the gain of the two channels. This is a Mesa recommended mod.

I have a Studio .22+ that I sent to Mike Bendinelli for him to add the Lead Drive pot and cannot be happier. When you set the Lead Drive at 1 o'clock, you bring the amp to the original Studio. 22+ setting.

Back