Can an amp be dated by serial number ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmcfee

Reaction score
I don't know the year of this amp and I am curious. How can I find out? Thanks.

Ummm thats about the only way an amp can be dated. :?

If its a Boogie, just call them up and they can tell you when it left the factory.

If its a different brand (*gasp*) you may have to do some digging and googling....

I have researched this before, and from what I could find out the serial number is just random numbers.

Mine has a date penned right on the chassis. It's a little hard to see because it's right behind the rectifier tube. Now this may just be the date the chassis was tested and not the date the amp left the factory, but it will get you in the ballpark. I bought my amp new in Dec 09 and the date on the chassis is Oct 09. (The actual day is on there too but I can't remember it off the top of my head).

I guess I'm not as lucky to have it hand written penned date code on the chassis. I don't see it. I did call MESA a while back when I purchased the amp used to try and find out warranty info and when I gave them the serial number they said they couldn't tell from that. Kind of confirms the "random" statement made in the previous post. I found this hard to believe especially for a quality company like MESA. Many companies use embedded date codes. Maybe they just don't want to give that info out. Here's what I think .... look at your transformers specifically the last 4 digits. Mine are like 0622, 0615, 0623, etc. My guess is that is the date code for manufacture of those items in the production flow. i.e. 22nd week of 2006 equates to 0622. Reason I believe this is because when I looked at other MESA LSS at guitar center the same area numbers had 08s and 07s. Check and let me know.

PS -- I do also remember coming across an article on the web where there was a date code list for Celestion speakers, but they used a alphanumeric code like 22BR and you had to go to this cross list to figure it out. Any hoo that should get you close.

Latest posts

Back