can all express owners please try this and explain if poss..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matstrat

Reaction score
I asked this once before and nobody seemed to help...even MESA haven't gotten back to me.

I use a BOSS looper from time to time and stick it in the FX loop.

If I record a phrase, then turn the master volume down on the amp the loop is still there being played at the volume it was at.

Same goes if i turn the volume up...the guitar gets louder but the loop stays at the volume recorded at...bloody frustrating.

Try it with a delay pedal...set it to max time and play a note...turn the master up...see if the delay sound gets louder...??? Is it just my amp?

Why is the circuit designed like this? any ideas?

chiz - m@

Hi,

This is an excerpt from the owners manual.

"The Express incorporates an internal EFFECTS LOOP to handle the interfacing of outboard processing. This circuit is a patch point between the preamp and the power section and it is wired in series with the dry (un-affected) signal. Since this loop is a series-type loop (as opposed to parallel - where the loop signal runs alongside the dry signal) it is important that you use good quality processors “in the middle” of your amp. While the loop is compatible with most processor Input/Output impedance demands, there can be a lot of room for sonic compromise in some of the less expensive units. Remember that every part in your signal path is a tone part."

It seems to me that the phrase " in the middle of your amp" would explain alot. Once the guitar signal goes in then it hits the FX loop and then the repeated loop from your looper continues through the rest of the path. But this raises the question, is the master volume the first to pass the signal through? ( I thought the "pre-amp" meant , before the power amp?)

Can you change the volume of the looper pedal by adjusting the gain on whatever channel you are using at the time?

Yes, I have read all that in the manual, but it doesn't answer why the master volume does not change the 'active' sound in the loop.

Yes, the volume on the looper will increase the overall volume, but that's not what I want, because it changes the signal into the power amp section of the amp.

hmmmmmm

matstrat said:
I asked this once before and nobody seemed to help...even MESA haven't gotten back to me.

I use a BOSS looper from time to time and stick it in the FX loop.

If I record a phrase, then turn the master volume down on the amp the loop is still there being played at the volume it was at.

Same goes if i turn the volume up...the guitar gets louder but the loop stays at the volume recorded at...bloody frustrating.

Try it with a delay pedal...set it to max time and play a note...turn the master up...see if the delay sound gets louder...??? Is it just my amp?

Why is the circuit designed like this? any ideas?

chiz - m@

I don't have a looper but use my Nova Delay pedal everyday. I don't have any volume issues with my delay pedal. The delay gets louder and softer as I adjust the master on the amp.

Does your delay pedal do this or not. If the volume varies on your delay pedal it's your looper that's the problem :mrgreen:

I'm not electronician, but maybe the master volume has to be pre-send to keep the load going from the amp stage to the speaker. Anyway, since the delay is generated from an initial guitar note/chord at a given level, it is normal that turning up or down the master gives no level change since the fx (delay) is only outgoing a signal already recorded at a specific level using the master.

The master volume is pre-loop. You record into your looper and it puts out a fixed volume level into the power amp . . . the only way to vary the looped signal is to vary the volume out on the looper.

Thats strange, they should be designed so the gain is pre amp volume and the master is power amp volume, why have they used this strange way of doing it? This messes things up, if you turn the master up you are changing the input and output of the effects which is stupid.

UKBoogieboy said:
Thats strange, they should be designed so the gain is pre amp volume and the master is power amp volume, why have they used this strange way of doing it? This messes things up, if you turn the master up you are changing the input and output of the effects which is stupid.
I noticed that too. The master controls how much signal is going into the fx send. Does anyone know if the reverb is pre fx loop? How bout pre master?

Back