Can a rec do 80s metal?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AustinK

Reaction score
I love my mark 3 for cleans and leads but am disappointed when it comes to rhythm playing. It just doesn't have the "balls" that my rhythm players 5150 has.

So would a 2 channel rec be able to deliver a huge crushing rhythm sound and a mark 3 ish type boogie lead on the 2 channels respectively.

And would a 3 channel fair the same? From what i read on many websites the 2 channels have a more organic sound that would better suite my needs while the 3s have a much more modern sound.

Thanks in advance

If you ran a boost with a 2 Channel you could totally do 80s metal.

The 3 Channel would do it in the Vintage or Raw mode with a boost as well.

Hope this helps.

Any reason i would need a boost? I was thinking modern for rhythm and vintage for lead or maybe just 2 modern channels

And what is the deal with the channel voices.

From what i understand the orange channel can be clean ,vintage or modern (with the cloning) and the red is modern or vintage (with the cloning). Is this correct?

You are correct about the 2 Channel, but you can not select them on the fly via a footswitch. So you could have a clean, rhythm and the use the boost for solos.

You can have a clean and dirty channel, or 2 dirty channels. And whatever you choose to set the amp on, you can only footswitch between the 2.

Make sense?

Excellent, I was hoping that would be correct. I don't need a clean sound on tap so i think that it would work out fine.

By chance do you know if Lynch used the vintage or modern sound for his solos?

Thanks for all the help.

AustinK said:
I love my mark 3 for cleans and leads but am disappointed when it comes to rhythm playing. It just doesn't have the "balls" that my rhythm players 5150 has.

So would a 2 channel rec be able to deliver a huge crushing rhythm sound and a mark 3 ish type boogie lead on the 2 channels respectively.

And would a 3 channel fair the same? From what i read on many websites the 2 channels have a more organic sound that would better suite my needs while the 3s have a much more modern sound.

Thanks in advance

It can, but why would that be your first choice for 80's metal? Widen your search imo, you could even start at the beginning of the era itself with a JCM 800 and a boost pedal. :D

George Lynch did use 2ch duals back in the day ya know. One of his signature modules for his Randall Lynchbox is modeled after the 2ch recs. The Brama, I think.

R_ADKINS80 said:
George Lynch did use 2ch duals back in the day ya know. One of his signature modules for his Randall Lynchbox is modeled after the 2ch recs. The Brama, I think.

Yes he did, after the 80's ended and he started going downhill (imo). His Mesa days were not exactly his best work/playing/tone in my view. I liked his Marshall/Soldano/old school Randall tones the best for 80's era Dokken/early 90's Lynch Mob stuff.

Not to mention he's such a gear ***** and changes amps like underwear anyway. :D

I'm a Recto fan, but for 80's metal it's just not the first amp I would think of reaching for personally.

I am not a fan of marshalls so I would never consider getting one.

My mark 3 excels at 80's metal but I am recently beginning to plan heavier stuff along the lines of Atreyu and other metalcore bands. So i am looking for an amp that can do both.

Yeah, if you want something that will do modern metal and metalcore like sounds as well as handle 80's metal, a 2 Channel Recto with an OD808 or TS808/TS9 would get you there.

Could you convert your III to 2c+ specs? An older Two channel could do 80's metal. Look into a Splaun quick rod for more of the Aqua Net. The Mr. Scary module is modeled after Georges Dual. Good Luck!

now that I know a 2 channel will get there. What revision would do it best.

I assume i would want one with the mark 3 transformers but outside of that would they all be contenders?

AustinK said:
now that I know a 2 channel will get there. What revision would do it best.

I assume i would want one with the mark 3 transformers but outside of that would they all be contenders?

I wouldn't worry about the revision. Get the best deal you can on any 2 channel, stick an OD808 or TS808/TS9 in front and you're golden.

Eh, all depends on what shape it's in and what options you have. Some guys prefer different cosmetics, etc. I've seen Duals go anywhere from $800 to $1400 typically, so they're all over the board.

Revisions from C to G, but mostly cosmetic and trivial things...attached power cords, chrome chassis, black chrome face plates, etc.

Silverwulf said:
Yeah, if you want something that will do modern metal and metalcore like sounds as well as handle 80's metal, a 2 Channel Recto with an OD808 or TS808/TS9 would get you there.

I'd recommed adding EL-34's.

But just out of curiosity...Since most 80's metal was Marshall (At least in my mind Priest, Maiden, Metallica, Ozzy, Megadeth, Anthrax etc...) what's your aversion to Marshall?

clutch71 said:
Silverwulf said:

I'd recommed adding EL-34's.

But just out of curiosity...Since most 80's metal was Marshall (At least in my mind Priest, Maiden, Metallica, Ozzy, Megadeth, Anthrax etc...) what's your aversion to Marshall?

I just don't like the "feel" of marshalls. I really like the preamp gain available with mesa.

Latest posts

Back