Can a DC-3 hang with a heavy hitting drummer?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polaris20

Reaction score
From the looks of HC reviews (I know, to be taken with large grain of salt) this seems to be louder than your garden variety 30 watt combo, due to its inherent Mesa-ness :lol: .

I just want to make sure, because my drummer, while being quite talented and locked on like a pitbull, is a bit "enthusiastic" when it comes to the skins.

A jazz drummer, he is not.

I had a DC-3 Combo and sold it like an idiot. To answer your question, yes this amp can hang with any drummer. If you pick up another 1x12 cab, it'll be even sweeter!

Plenty loud, not to worry :D

jerseydrew said:
I had a DC-3 Combo and sold it like an idiot. To answer your question, yes this amp can hang with any drummer. If you pick up another 1x12 cab, it'll be even sweeter!

Plenty loud, not to worry :D

Thanks for the info! Do you know if it's the same width as the Thiele cab? I bet that would kick all forms of *** together.

Long time DC-3 user here. The short answer, as already posted, is that the combo alone will defnitely hang with most heavy drummers. At extreme high volume (and trust me, it gets deafeningly loud) you lose some girth to the tone though - although you'll definitely still be able to hear yourself, and so will anyone listening. I'm told that if you add a thiele it's thunderous. I haven't tried it with a thiele, but have used it with a 2x12 open back as well as a Marshall 4x12. Your jaw will hit the floor, and your drummer will be amazed.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the most powerful and articulate amp I've ever heard rated under 50 watts. I also own an F-50, and I'm convinced the DC-3 has more power on tap.

Is the DC-3 voiced similarly to the DC-5? I've read some stuff saying that it's too mid-rangey, and while I've played a 5, I've never played a 3. And I really don't need the extra 15 watts of the 5.

I play mostly rock, progressive rock, and metal, though nothing heavier than modern Metallica.

How do you know when a Drummer is at the door?

The knocking speeds up and he doesn't know when to come in.

polaris20 said:
Is the DC-3 voiced similarly to the DC-5? I've read some stuff saying that it's too mid-rangey, and while I've played a 5, I've never played a 3. And I really don't need the extra 15 watts of the 5.

I play mostly rock, progressive rock, and metal, though nothing heavier than modern Metallica.

It's definitely not exactly the same as the DC-5 - different output tubes. The DC-3 is a small combo (asuming your talking about the combo), and does tend to suffer a little from a "boxy" sound if you're not careful. This can seem a bit mid-range heavy. You can effectively dial this out though if you know what you're doing with the graphic eq, as well as the individual tone controls. When you run one through a 2x12 or 4x12, it doesn't sound overly heavy in the midrange to my ears. Personally, I'm fond of the midrange this little combo put out - I think it heals it sit well in the mix in my band - but what we do isn't particularly heavy.

plumptone said:
polaris20 said:

It's definitely not exactly the same as the DC-5 - different output tubes. The DC-3 is a small combo (asuming your talking about the combo), and does tend to suffer a little from a "boxy" sound if you're not careful. This can seem a bit mid-range heavy. You can effectively dial this out though if you know what you're doing with the graphic eq, as well as the individual tone controls. When you run one through a 2x12 or 4x12, it doesn't sound overly heavy in the midrange to my ears. Personally, I'm fond of the midrange this little combo put out - I think it heals it sit well in the mix in my band - but what we do isn't particularly heavy.

Thanks for the info! Do you have any clips, preferably higher gain clips?

Latest posts

Back