Cabs + Mark IV combo (ohm question)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ednolb

Reaction score
I've recently bought a Bogner cab which is an 8 ohm cab. Right now I hook this to my my Mark IVa combo using the 8 Ohm output of the Mark IV (this means my EV speaker is disconnected).

I was thinking of trying to hook up my EV speaker as well as I'm wondering what difference this would make. I know I can hook my cab and the EV speaker each to a 4 ohm output of the Mark IV.

However, I was wondering if I could also hook the EV speaker to the 8 ohm output of the Mark IV and the Bogner cab to a 4 ohm output? Or am I obligated to always use the 4 ohm outputs when using two speakers with the Mark IV?

Ideally the two speaker loads would be connected to the two 4ohm jacks,but you can connect them any way you want without doing any harm to the amp.There may be a little loss of power,and a slight tonal difference if you mismatch the connections as you describe,but you may not even notice it,or you may like it better,but it wont hurt anything.

Ideally the two speaker loads would be connected to the two 4ohm jacks,but you can connect them any way you want without doing any harm to the amp.There may be a little loss of power,and a slight tonal difference if you mismatch the connections as you describe,but you may not even notice it,or you may like it better,but it wont hurt anything.

I think you can use all 3 outputs of mark..

8 -> 8ohm speaker/box

4 -> 8ohm speaker/box
4 -> 8ohm speaker/box

If you DO mismatch, you should be careful not to put an 4ohm speaker to an 8ohm output or 2x4ohm (the outputs are wired parallel so that means 2ohms -> not good for your speakers or the transformer -> you can destroy it) speakers/boxes to 4ohm outputs..

Please correct me if i'm wrong..i havent tried this but my "knowledge" of electric circuits tells me, it can be done..

Back