Cabinet for ED?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juhsun

Reaction score
Hello!

Any of you forumites have experiences playin ED with greenbacks? Which speakers do you prefer?
Thanks for your input!!

Till now I hadn't tried playing my Electra Dyne combo through another external cabinet. Tonight for the hell of it I decided to disconnect the mesa speaker and connect the combo into my Marshall JCM 800 412 cabinet loaded with Celestion G12-65 speakers from the 80's. Wow did it ever sound great!

The sound was not as harsh through the Marshall as it was via the original combo speaker from the Electra Dyne. To be fair I don't think the ED speaker has had enough time to break in properly so the sound may change and mellow a little over time.

I was actually considering selling the Marshall cabinet but after what I just heard I think I will hang on to it for a little while longer. I almost regret getting a combo now. Maybe I can find a good deal on a ED head on ebay or something.

If anyone here knows someplace I can get a deal on one, let me know.

Thanks

Ya, I'd ALWAYS get a head over a combo because of the versatility of matching different cabs for different jobs. I think it was discussed in another post, but you can always talk to Mesa and order a lonestar headshell. If you tell them it is for an Electra Dyne, they'll have it set up right for you. (I'm assuming with the proper screw hole placement)

I don't get it why would I want a Lonestar head box for my Ed? Just get an ED head box no?

The combo chassis and head chassis are different. The combo hangs upside down compared to the head. A lone star head also uses an upside down mount so it will work with the ED. You can still use an ED head shell, but you will have to get used to all the controls being upside down :D

J.J said:
The combo chassis and head chassis are different. The combo hangs upside down compared to the head. A lone star head also uses an upside down mount so it will work with the ED. You can still use an ED head shell, but you will have to get used to all the controls being upside down :D
A possible downside to using a Lonestar shell: I remember reading where combo owners complained about the heat generated by the upside down configuration (tubes below chassis), I mean like too-hot-to-touch-the-faceplate heat. I imagine an upside-down configuration in a head could be even hotter than upside down in a combo. I don't experience any such heat issue with my "orthodox" E-D head.

The ED headshell should be cooler because the heat will vent/rise up from the chassis rather than in to it like in the combo format. A Lonestar headshell would probably be just as hot as the combo. I don't see why Mesa doesn't just install a fan on the chassis. The have them on the Lonestars.

Latest posts

Back