Cabinet Advice Needed

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I spent the last weekend in the studio with my band. We recorded 9 songs for a demo.
I used my DC-5 and Dual Rec (Rev. G).
While I love the tones I get most of the time, it became painfully obvious that I really need a good cabinet or two!

I used the DC-5 combo cab with C-90 and a Stiletto 1x12 with Vintage 30.
I mic-ed both cabs.
When I listened back to them individually, the combo cab was horrendously bright and the Stiletto cab was flubby and muddy and not dark enough.

I've been on the fence about selling the DC and getting something more aggressive. I need a single amp that I can take to gigs and have sweet, chimey cleans and brutal distortion, with some great mid gain tones as well.
I'm really thinking about picking up an old Mark IV combo that the studio has. It's been broken and sitting in the corner for a long time, so they offered it to me for a really good price.

So.....
Most likely, I will need to go with a combo due to size restraints at my house and at the venues on Maui.
I want a cabinet to go with a combo, or 2 small cabinets that sound huge to go with a head.

For a combo:
1x12 Thiele or 1x12 Widebody closed back?

For a head:
2x12 3/4 back or 2 1x12 Widebody (1 open back, 1 closed back)?

I need great bass extension, lots of clean sparkle, no mid range hump like V-30's have, easy to carry and small footprint.

What do you guys think?

Forgot to mention the tones I'm after...... :lol:

My band plays all originals, I'm the only guitar player.
Our sound is very heavy but melodic. Kind of Rush meets Incubus with a small amount of Disturbed and Steely Dan mixed in.

Cleans need to be as Fender like as possible.
Mid gain sounds range from Steely Dan to Santana.
Heavy gain sounds range from Rush (Big Money) to Disturbed.

Back