Cab talk for working musicians

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdesalvo

Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal...I'm about to embark on a 412 shopping adventure, but before I buy, I need to set some time aside to actually test them out with my dc10 head. Sadly, I won't have the chance for a few weeks, so I can only do internet research and speculate...

Ideally, I would love to get a Mesa cab such as the traditional or oversized recto 412, but I keep hearing people say that it gets flubby at high volume. I try to keep things in perspective by reasoning that not everyone knows how to set up their amp, but this seems to be the consensus.

Here's what I do know about my setup: I have a 1960a with the gt75s in it. I like the clarity, sparkling cleans, and tightness of it overall. It has a nice little thump to it and projects fairly well.

On the other hand, I wish the bass was a bit more prominent. I also would like chugs to be a bit tighter sounding. I recall my friend's MKIV cab (halfback with black shadows/evs/metal grill) being gainier, bassier, and tighter sounding with my amp- even though the cleans weren't as nice. In addition, I think the 1960a could use a bit more midrange. It does sound like the mids are slightly attenuated.

I want a cab that stays tight and very focused on the low strings- one with a deep wallop and fat, smooth mids- one with creamy highs and a bit of sparkle. I don't want loose flub, either. In all honesty, I probably will never get to turn my channel and masters up past 3 or 4 on my amp, so is this the sort of volume that will turn a recto cab to mush? I doubt it!

I even wandered over to the VHT forum, but I can't stand having mismatched gear..it's a retentive trait, but cut me some slack..

What the hell am I looking for? And am I expecting too much from a piece of gear?

Have you thought about going wiht two 2x12's? The reason I ask is because I had a Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 and I liked it so much that I got a second one .......... and I don't think any 4x12 on the planet could have touched my two 2x12's! Plus, I could split them up for small gigs and just use a 2x12 (for practice too) and save the 4x12 set up for the larger gigs. They have nice celestions in them and 4 bass ports under the speakers to give you a bigger sound on stage but not over power the soundman with too much bass when you mic it up.

New they run about $500-$550 each, but I've seen them go on ebay for as low as $275-$350.

My taste changed a bit (as you can see in my sig) and I went to all combo amps and sold my last Genz Benz about 2 months ago for $295 + shipping.

I also hear good things about the VHT cabs.

I use a DC-10 with a Recto Standard with V30's now. and I love it. I don't think the mesa cabs flub out at all. You have to take into consideration the head people are running into the mesa cabs, when they say it is flubbing out.
I, Like you, never turned my DC-10 up past about 3. Which is plenty loud! I never had any flubbing problems.
I also used to have a Recto oversized (before it was stolen from me) and I loved it. I only went with a standard when I replaced it because I was a gigging musician and I needed a replacement quickly.
In my opinion the recto cab compliments the DC-10 great.

i've never played a dc model, but from what you said, i believe you are looking at the traditional sized mesa cab, not the oversized. it seems like you are happy with the marshall cab, but not the speakers! maybe you could order 4 vintage 30's from mesa and swap. it'd be cheaper than new cab.

Why not swap two of the G12-75's for V30's and run them in an X postion like the Bogner cabs? This would give you the extra midrange you want and it would also be warmer and fatter.

I second Botch's response.

That, or get a 1960b cab if you like the Marshall cab sound. The straight cab gets a little deeper and you could still do the 75/v30 x-pattern. If you got one with 4 v30's you would be able to swap on both cabs and be set.

The a cabs are cool because they fire up a little and end up being a little less directional nice for venues with balconies or loge sections. The b cabs are cool because they are deeper sounding.

You could also switch your speakers around to suit your needs then. 4 of whichever speaker your needs were in whichever cab you wanted to use.

Plus, your cabs would match. You could mess with people and put up a dummy Marshall head too and hide your Mesa from the beer bottles behind the stack or off stage.

For a Mesa cab I wouldn't skip trying the older metal grill cabs. They have half open designs that really fill a room with sound. They made those in 2x12's also. I believe those are ported as well like the g-flex mentioned above. That would be if you wanted matching gear if you are retentive that is. I just saw a clone on ebay for really cheap (it was in gray carpet though). The older Mesa cabs are cheaper than the recto cabs too.

i third the X pattern idea... i was about to do this but my other guitarist's cab (vin 30 x4) had its back glued in (!?!) anyways, later on i put that cab under my 1960a in full stack, needless to say it was pretty much what you've desribed your looking for. the bass a bit tighter and chunkier and at the same time the mids cut through a great live mix but the warmth of the GTs remain keeping it smooth overall but still able to have it's own tonal nitch. :)

tele_jas said:
Have you thought about going wiht two 2x12's? The reason I ask is because I had a Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 and I liked it so much that I got a second one .......... and I don't think any 4x12 on the planet could have touched my two 2x12's! Plus, I could split them up for small gigs and just use a 2x12 (for practice too) and save the 4x12 set up for the larger gigs. They have nice celestions in them and 4 bass ports under the speakers to give you a bigger sound on stage but not over power the soundman with too much bass when you mic it up.

New they run about $500-$550 each, but I've seen them go on ebay for as low as $275-$350.

My taste changed a bit (as you can see in my sig) and I went to all combo amps and sold my last Genz Benz about 2 months ago for $295 + shipping.

I also hear good things about the VHT cabs.

Good choice and idea. I did that with 2 Mesa recto 2x12 cabs on top of one another. But G.AS. took over and I sold one and bought a VHT fat Bottom 4x12. I bet the 2 G- Flex's stacked sounded massive. I owned one when I did the Quad.Triax,295 rack thing. Genz Benz makes a great cab at a decent price..especially finding one used.

Ditto on the "X" pattern. I have a 80's metal grill boogie 4x12 with 2 90's and 2 vin 30's. Tha cab is sooo much smaller in size than a typical 4x12,but an inch deeper that a oversized Recto at the bottom. Tite sounding,specially with my DR,but still doesnt give me the "emotional woodie" as the VHT Fat Bottom 4x12

thats a straight cab. But there speaker baffle is tilted inward at the top giving the top 2 12's a bit of an upward rake.

I agree with Tele_jas! Genz is the way to go. I have both the 4x12 and the 2x12. I suggest getting two 2x12's if you need to break down quick. The 4x12 is heavy but sounds phenomenal! The only thing wrong with the 4x12 is the casters. I wish they would have went heavy duty like the recto cabs. Aside from that Mr. Genzler makes a killer product.

Latest posts

Back