Cab talk for working musicians

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdesalvo

Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal...I'm about to embark on a 412 shopping adventure, but before I buy, I need to set some time aside to actually test them out with my dc10 head. Sadly, I won't have the chance for a few weeks, so I can only do internet research and speculate...

Ideally, I would love to get a Mesa cab such as the traditional or oversized recto 412, but I keep hearing people say that it gets flubby at high volume. I try to keep things in perspective by reasoning that not everyone knows how to set up their amp, but this seems to be the concensus.

Here's what I do know about my setup: I have a 1960a with the gt75s in it. I like the clarity, sparkling cleans, and tightness of it overall. It has a nice little thump to it and projects fairly well.

On the other hand, I wish the bass was a bit more prominent. I also would like chugs to be a bit tighter sounding. I recall my friend's MKIV cab (halfback with black shadows/evs/metal grill) being gainier, bassier, and tighter sounding with my amp- even though the cleans weren't as nice. In addition, I think the 1960a could use a bit more midrange. It does sound like the mids are slightly attenuated.

I want a cab that stays tight and very focused on the low strings- one with a deep wallop and fat, smooth mids- one with creamy highs and a bit of sparkle. I don't want loose flub, either. In all honesty, I probably will never get to turn my channel and masters up past 3 or 4 on my amp, so is this the sort of volume that will turn a recto cab to mush? I doubt it!

I even wandered over to the VHT forum, but I can't stand having mismatched gear..it's a retentive trait, but cut me some slack..

What the hell am I looking for? And am I expecting too much from a piece of gear?

Latest posts

Back