Cab Speaker Configuration-Advise Needed

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I have a Mesa/Boogie Recto Cab, it's a closed back cab with 4 Celestion Vintage 30's in it. I'm thinkin of swapping 2 V30's for 2 G12T-75's...

Question/advice:

Which two Cel V30's would/should I replace with G12T-75's:

The top two, the bottom two or one of each and have em run diagonally?

What are the effects of each configuration?

I know I'd read up on it somewhere in this forum but have been searching for a while now today and cannot find any info...

#2121313 said:
I have a Mesa/Boogie Recto Cab, it's a closed back cab with 4 Celestion Vintage 30's in it. I'm thinkin of swapping 2 V30's for 2 G12T-75's...

Question/advice:

Which two Cel V30's would/should I replace with G12T-75's:

The top two, the bottom two or one of each and have em run diagonally?

What are the effects of each configuration?

I know I'd read up on it somewhere in this forum but have been searching for a while now today and cannot find any info...

The diagonal "X" configuration is the best for many reasons on your closed back cab

1) you can hear the sound of the two speakers well mixed together,
2) if you run the stereo option, both channels are well balaced as for the wattage and for the sound as well
3) When you play live and you need to mic the cab, sound engineers loves to mic the upper speakers because the 90° angle, created by the cab and the floor, sometime produce an unwanted bass response into the mix.
4) as for the point 3, you can mic both upper speakers so you will send to the mixer 2 different sounds!!

The diagonal "X" configuration is the best for many reasons on your closed back cab

1) you can hear the sound of the two speakers well mixed together,
2) if you run the stereo option, both channels are well balaced as for the wattage and for the sound as well
3) When you play live and you need to mic the cab, sound engineers loves to mic the upper speakers because the 90° angle, created by the cab and the floor, sometime produce an unwanted bass response into the mix.
4) as for the point 3, you can mic both upper speakers so you will send to the mixer 2 different sounds!!

Thanks merendina this is exactly the kinda info I was looking for!

Latest posts

Back