C+ tranny id help wanted

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Blues

Reaction score
I have an early IIC that was modded to a "+", back in early 80's. It's got the MB initials and the + thingy. It is 60 watts with reverb and EQ. I've been searching LOTS of posts here and there's a lot of info about the 100 and 105 trannies. My boog has the following tranny serial number.
"X62-162318 EIA 606-217". It does not even say MESA. The front plate has the gain boost pull thingy. (Not PULL DEEP) I love the amp especially with P90s.
Can anyone tell me what those numbers mean? There is no 100 or 105 to be found so just curious about this one. Thanks for all replies.

Thanks for your reply.
EXPORT? even though it has no export voltage thingys?
So I guess the 100 & 105s trannies were only for 100 watt models?
Just curious after reading about those trans being "more" desireable,
and my tranny doesn't even say MESA. lol...it sure is one loud amp.
I "RARELY" put the master at "2". I can't imagine what the 105s sound like.
Probably like a howitzer.

Mr. Blues said:
My boog has the following tranny serial number.
X62-162318 EIA 606-217........

That is a 1982 tranny.

606 = Schumacher
217 = 17th week of 1982

And I know that Boogiebabies already knows this as he has pointed it out many times before :lol:

I'm not prone to mistakes like that, I swear it was EIA 606-617, but it is an 82. I have no problem deciphering Shumacher codes back to the 60's. I even have a section in my new book on Mesa Transformer codes.

In Stores in June.

Hmmmm.....?
I figured '82 was more like it?
What about the "X62".... export?
even though it is a domestic amp? I'm still trying to figure out all these serial numbers. The 100 & 105 numbers refer to POWER tranny, not OTs?
So far it seems like there are different trannies for the Mark IIC series.
Some like mine that are 60 watt (gain boost pots) Cs modded to C+, then the factory C+s that have the pull deep pots with either 100 or 105s.
Yes? no? maybe? If so, what were plate specs? Thanks for your reply.

there were three offerings back in the day for a Mark2C+. You chose which you wanted when you ordered yours from the factory.

Each offering carried a different transformer. They were:

60 watt---2 6l6 tubes
100/60watt--4 6l6 tubes
Simul-Class--you choose b/w having 4 6l6 tubes or 2 6l6 and 2 el34

Now, as for the power transformers, the 60w offering only carried the "100."
The other two offerings had the "100" early in the life of the 2C, but things quickly changed in favor of the more powerful "105."

Mesa has offered the Export transformer--"X101"--for a long time before the C+. It was made for international buyers that were touring around the world. Mike B. claims that this is his favorite transformer for a Simul-Class amp because "it gives you the truest Class A sound." Note that this transformer was available on all three offerings--60w, 100/60, Simul.

Can someone confirm all of this? I'm going off memory...

ELP....
Pardon my confusion.
You said that early 60 watt Mark IICs had trannies with a 100 in the serial number. My transformer serial number isn't even close to that.
"X62-162318 EIA 606-217"
Any ideas? Thanks for your reply.

Mr. Blues said:
ELP....
Pardon my confusion.
You said that early 60 watt Mark IICs had trannies with a 100 in the serial number. My transformer serial number isn't even close to that.
"X62-162318 EIA 606-217"
Any ideas? Thanks for your reply.

I think you have the export transformer model, as signified by the "X."

A 60w amp can either have a 100 or an export.
A 100/60 can have either a 100, a 105, or an export
A Simul Class can have either a 105, an export, and I think it can take a 100 also

Both my C+'s are exports, and my 60 w has an X-62-162318, and my simul has X-101-162318,
As stated earlier on the forum, the 100 and 105 trannies are for the 117Volts US market. The export amps doesn't have this feature.

Tony

thanks for your reply
I wonder why a domestic model would have an "export" symbol.
i.e. there is no overseas voltage thingy in the back on mine.
Maybe they just grabbed a bunch of trannies out of the box and started filling orders. No complaint, just curious.

Mr. Blues said:
thanks for your reply
I wonder why a domestic model would have an "export" symbol.
i.e. there is no overseas voltage thingy in the back on mine.
Maybe they just grabbed a bunch of trannies out of the box and started filling orders. No complaint, just curious.

They were making 10 amps a day and I am sure they did not have the buying power to stock up on an extra 1000 trannies. They were a special order company. Mesa has used odd transformers in many cases just to get by. I would not be surprised at all if they subbed an export tranny just to get the job out. In my opinion, I would kill to have been able to order an Export tranny. The dream is Simul-EQ-Reverb-Export-Imbuya-EV12L or Head.

BB
Thanks for your reply. Hmmm...I'm learning something all the time.
All along I thought the 100 & 105 trannies were the more "desireable" ones. All I can say is this 60 watter LOVES P90s and where ever I play people are amazed with the tone and power. It's got JJ tubes (seems to be the best bang for the buck) and I rarely play above 2. I'm more into "clean dirt." I don't know what I'd do if it ever crapped out on me.
Hopelessly obsessed with it.

The 100 was being phased out before the IIC+ production was finalized. The early 105's have date stamps from late 1983, so the 100 was going any way. If a + has a 100, it would probably be a leftover or a converted early C. The 60 watt would have neither. The only required 448V to the plates where the 100 put out 460 or so and the 105 under load puts out 483V or higher. With no load it's possible a 500V PT. I would not get caught up in the 100, 105 mystique. It is what it is and everyone will have thier own opinion, even Mike B. Generally, the lower the plate voltage, the smoother the tone.

Thanks.
I certainly agree about the smooth factor.
It LOVES P90s as much as humbuckers.

Back