C to C+?!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disassembled

Reaction score
Because it had to modified as opposed to all original. Most vintage pieces base their value off of that.

To a collector this makes all the difference. To me or most other guitar players.......a C+ is a C+!

Greg

The only difference I would make an issue with is if it had the 100 PT. The 100 never made it to C+ production, so if your a stickler for originality this is the only real point of issue.

C+ = C+

I asked Mike B. 1000 times, each time calling with a different voice so he wouldn't recognize me. Then he would proceed to punch me through the phone.

It's a IIC+ in circuitry, but for a collector, I personally would not pay nearly as much for an upgrade. I stay between 12550 and 14500 and make sure they are 100% original from the transformers to the resistors.
Basically I feel that I would not buy a Stradvarius with a Piezo bridge. :shock:

Boogiebabies said:
It's a IIC+ in circuitry, but for a collector, I personally would not pay nearly as much for an upgrade. I stay between 12550 and 14500 and make sure they are 100% original from the transformers to the resistors.
Basically I feel that I would not buy a Stradvarius with a Piezo bridge. :shock:

I think he was referring to a post of mine in another thread. If you are talking about $900 amps then I won't argue. As these things are beginning to go for $3000+ I don't buy for a minute that a converted C will have the value of a real C+.

Go ask how much a silverface Fender converted to blackface spec's is worth or a metal panel Marshall converted to plexi spec's. Why would someone pay the same price for a conversion as they could pay for the real thing?

As you mention above, I also would not pay nearly as much for an upgraded amp. While they don't show up every day, real C+'s aren't that difficult to find. Sorry, I'll wait for a real one and let others pay C+ money for conversions.

Something to consider though is usually those other mods are not being made by the guys that originally built the amp as is usually the case of C to C+.

As a player I would say as long as it sounds good.

As a collector I would buy original.

Russ said:

Agreed. If I find a $1000 player amp then no big deal. For $3000 I'm buying an original.

We can bury our heads in the sand and pretend that a converted amp is the same thing. Tone-wise that might be true. When it comes to value I don't agree. It certainly won't be the case when a fully loaded wood/wicker C+ is a $5000 amp. If I had to make a prediction, we are only 3-5 years away from that point.

I have had Mike B. do a C+ conversion for me. I didn't care for the amp and ended up selling it. It sold for basically the same price as if it wasn't converted. With almost every converted C or MKIII I see the same thing - they tend to not come close to bringing real C+ prices. I'd like to see some evidence of conversions bringing C+ prices.

Just my opinion / experience. If others feel that a conversions are worth the same as real C+'s then that is fine with me.

gts said:
I completely understand from a collectors point of veiw, and I have some of the same "collectors inclination" as a purest. But on the practical end of things, if tonally they are the same, then buying and playing a modded C to a C+ shouldn't matter much.

I hear ya. You can say the same thing about a $10k tweed Bassman, $5k AC30, $5k plexi Marshall, etc. If the tone is the same it shouldn't matter (and at $1000 it doesn't). At the above prices it makes all the difference.

IMHO, the serial number is going to just become more important as prices go up.

I think that a C to C+ "mod" is probably better than a B to C+ conversion.

Russ said:
I think that a C to C+ "mod" is probably better than a B to C+ conversion.

Are you sure? You just swap the whole PCB. How different can that be from an "original" C+?

Besides, to me, the II-B seems to have been manufactured with more care than the II-C and it looks also cooler. And even if I don't have an "original" C+, I cannot understand why it should sound different.

Would you restrain yourself form doing pots or caps replacement after 10 or 15 years in order to keep the "purity" of your "original" C+?

I have a 30 year old Marshall I am fence sitting with on the same cap issue right now.

I was saying that the mod v conversion from a collector's point of view considering values might be better as C to C+ as opposed to B to C+.

Russ said:

+1

I'm a player. When I have more dough to play with, I'll become a collector. When I build my own one with separate channels in a few weeks, I'll be an inventor, hehe.

It's the 1955 sub circuit for the Flux Capacitor. John also did the prop for the mind reading machine. He later made another appearance in HellBoy when Rasputin uses a wrist full of 6L6's to open the portal to hell.

Very Cheeky... :wink:

Elpelotero said:
jvk,

I like your avatar!

.lenap tnorf eht detaroced ynnarg yM .sbus ssalc-aksugnuT fo rotcaer eht ni krow ot dengised yllaicepse ,s6L6 denedrah noitaidar deddom-repus fo dauq a :tnenopmoc naissur terces pot eht deilppus flesmih nituP dna ,snoitcennoc nainarI ym fo pleh eht htiw edam I hcihw ,pma ratiug derewop 432-muinarU a s'tI

I thought they were cryogenically treated 6L6's. My bad...

I'm sure Home Land Security will be reading your last post, so you may want to delete the U and I bits. Next thing you know, MI6 is knocking your door down. We are in a paranoid world with paranoid agancies wrought with ethnic bias and stereotyping. My nephew's father is Morraccan and he is a very handsome, sweet boy with very dark features. The last time the family came to visit, people in the grocery store were looking at an 8 year old kid like he had three heads. I had to drop the F bomb on one idiot. We are in an ignorant world.

Being dark and handsome and of similar descent to your nephew myself, I know the feeling 8) Devolution and de-humanisation are rife. Soon it'll be hard to walk around without a barcode etched on your arse.

gts said:
LOL!!! You guys kill me! ..... (again)
and jvk, where did you aquire the backward writing chip thats installed in your head

That'd take far too long to write by hand, reading it is hard enough, hehe. I used Javascript.

Back