C.O.C. tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy03xxx

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. I've been coming here and reading for a while now but this is my first post.

I've got a Rectoverb Series 1. My main guitar is an Explorer loaded with EMG 81/85's.

After tinkering for a while not knowing what I was after, I started listening to bands who use Mesas to try to figure out what kind of tone I wanted. All this time, it was right under my nose. I really like the tone C.O.C. gets on AVD and In The Arms Of God. Especially In The Arms Of God. I think Pepper used a .50 Cal on that.

Does anyone have some settings that'll get me close to his rhythm tone? I'm not very good at tweaking on my own. I've tried and have gotten some decent sounds but not what I'm looking for.

And while we're at it. Does anyone have any good clean settings? Hope I'm not asking too much.

Any help is appreciated.

tommy03xxx said:
Hi, I'm new here. I've been coming here and reading for a while now but this is my first post.

I've got a Rectoverb Series 1. My main guitar is an Explorer loaded with EMG 81/85's.

After tinkering for a while not knowing what I was after, I started listening to bands who use Mesas to try to figure out what kind of tone I wanted. All this time, it was right under my nose. I really like the tone C.O.C. gets on AVD and In The Arms Of God. Especially In The Arms Of God. I think Pepper used a .50 Cal on that.

Does anyone have some settings that'll get me close to his rhythm tone? I'm not very good at tweaking on my own. I've tried and have gotten some decent sounds but not what I'm looking for.

And while we're at it. Does anyone have any good clean settings? Hope I'm not asking too much.

Any help is appreciated.

Yeah, Pepper used a .50 Caliber head on those, and Woody used a rackmount Dual Recto. Pepper has the mids on his amp set to like 7, and Woody has most of his EQ all the way up. Use super heavy strings too...that's a large part of their tone.
Like MusicManJP6 said, an OD pedal will help a lot. Pepper is using a JCM 800 head now with a Boss SD-1 in front of it...level all the way up on the pedal and the drive on 0.

Thanks for the help guys.

You are 100% right about the heave gauge strings. I was amazed at the difference they made when I first tried them.

I probably wouldn't have tried the mids set that high on my own without the suggestion. Any suggestions on highs, lows, and presence? I'm new to Mesa and the eq is very difficult to get the hang of.

Also, I have a Fulltone Fulldrive Mosfet 2 and a Digitech Bad Monkey. I figure the Fulltone would be better to drive the front of the amp. Any thoughts? I've experimented a little with this but I really didn't know what I was doing.

Also, I haven't been able to really crank the amp yet. I'm hoping to take it out to our rehearsal space maybe tonight and work on tones. I can't get it too loud at home without upsetting the neighbors. I know everyone has this problem.

I also forgot to mention that I have 6L6's in the amp and a Recto cab. I know every piece of gear plays a factor but I forgot to mention tubes and speaker cab.

Once again, thanks for the help and I look forward to hearing from you with more tips.

Btw, Todd, when you said Pep has his mids at 7, did you mean 7 o'clock or 7 of 10?

Anyone else have any insight on achieving a tone similar to C.O.C.?

Also, I'm really struggling to find a clean sound I like. Help!!!!

tommy03xxx said:
Btw, Todd, when you said Pep has his mids at 7, did you mean 7 o'clock or 7 of 10?

Anyone else have any insight on achieving a tone similar to C.O.C.?

Also, I'm really struggling to find a clean sound I like. Help!!!!

7 out of 10. (2 o'clock)
On the rectoverb, I'd probably set most of your EQ at 7 (2 o'clock), with the presence around half.
Maybe try that Bad Monkey pedal in front of it...keep the tone set to half, or lower. Keep the drive on 0, and crank the level. Those pedals are clones of Tube Screamers. Pepper had one of those in his rig forever.

Thanks Todd. You are the man. Those 7s really sound good. When I first read your post, I thought, "this dude's nuts." But I tried your settings and I was amazed.

I'm not sold on the Bad Monkey though. It tightens everything up but it kinda thins out the palm mutes. I'll keep messing with it though. I'll be able to take my rig out to our rehearsal space tomorrow. There, I'll be able to crank it and hear it with a full band. Can't wait. I got a feeling I won't need the OD up front. We'll see.

Got any clean settings for me? You really seem to know what you're talking about with Mesas.

Thanks again.

tommy03xxx said:
Thanks Todd. You are the man. Those 7s really sound good. When I first read your post, I thought, "this dude's nuts." But I tried your settings and I was amazed.

I'm not sold on the Bad Monkey though. It tightens everything up but it kinda thins out the palm mutes. I'll keep messing with it though. I'll be able to take my rig out to our rehearsal space tomorrow. There, I'll be able to crank it and hear it with a full band. Can't wait. I got a feeling I won't need the OD up front. We'll see.

Got any clean settings for me? You really seem to know what you're talking about with Mesas.

Thanks again.

i honestly don't think you'll need the OD in front of the amp either, but a lot of guys like to do that.

cleans...i like to keep the bass lower (maybe on 2 or 3), the mids around 2-3, and the treble slightly boosted (maybe on 6) and the presence you can fiddle with depending. That's what works for me... give it a try. Glad the settings I suggested worked for you.

Back