Buzzing/Rattling sound out of the Mesa cabinet

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IftodeBogdan

Reaction score
Hi, a few months ago I’ve bought a brand new Mesa Boogie Triaxis V2.0 with the Mesa Boogie 2:90 and 2 x Mesa Rectifier 2x12" 8ohm 120W. They are bought from Thomann in Germany.

I am hearing a kind of mechanical rattling, buzzing sound from the cabinets that is pretty loud. This can be best heard when I am palm muting lower frequency notes such as the big E string with the volume set to almost half way. The sound can be heard through a microphone but it's less noticeable. Anyway the sound is there and it's frustrating.

I'd really appreciate some advice because i don't know what to do. Thank you in advance and have a nice day! :)

With the volume almost to halfway, it's quite possible you're driving that cab harder than it's rated for. However, that would more likely result in speakers farting out than cab buzz. I would suggest you pop the back off and play under the same conditions. If the buzz is still there, see if you can localize it; maybe one of the speakers is not screwed in completely tight, or maybe there's a corner where the actual plywood is coming loose. On the other hand, if the buzz disappears with the back off, it's possible that the back itself is not completely airtight.

Process of elimination:

1. Make sure nothing else in the room is actually rattling. You'd be surprised.
2. Make sure triaxis and poweramp are not sitting on top of cab. Move well away. Tubes may be rattling if on cab.
3. Seperate cabs and check one at a time. Make sure cabs are not sitting on top of each other or jammed side to side.
4. Press cabinet in various places while chugging away. DO NOT lean on a corner or side so hard that will make the cabinet flex/twist under your force. This will give you the false impression that it's the side you're leaning against is the problem. For example, leaning on the right side hard may flex the cab enough to make the left side joint jam, which may be the loose side.
5. Check speaker mounts. Make sure all screws are tight.
6. Check speaker mounting board. I don't know if it's glued in place or simply sitting in grooves. If sitting in grooves, it may be loose.
7. Check rear with back off as suggested above.
8. Check front grille. May be loose.
9. Speaker wires may be rattling against something (unlikely to cause rattle being insulated).
10. Check speaker terminal plate. Make sure screws are tight.

Do the easiest things first.

I had this problem with a brand new Mesa 4x12. I took it back, and they told me the baffle was loose. They fixed the problem in a very short time. 10 years later, and it's still a champ!

After reloading one of my vert 2x12 cabs, it started doing the same thing. I loosened all of the grill screws and reseated them. Vibration went away. The old cabs (from late '80s) did not have the cylindrical rubber offsets like the newer ones (early '90s). I have one of each and only have had that prob on the old one.

Latest posts

Back