Buying off ebay

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spawnmet

Reaction score
Hi all,

Any suggestions about questions or anything in general about buying mesa boogies off ebay? Something I should be on the look out for?

Thanks in advance

D

Make sure the seller packages it using a two box method.
Ensure the seller insures the package.
Shorter shipping times = less time for UPS/FedEx/DHL to mangle it
Ask if the seller will take more pictures for you.

avoid cats who have alt. email addys-some dude has been opening new accounts recently,trying to sell a MK II-he plays like he doesnt "know" its a II c +..sends pics that confirm it is...only the pics have been lifted off of the boogiefiles website-poses as someone with broken english-prob. cruises the b board as well-no prior sells sends up the proverbial red flag

spawnmet said:
Hi all,
Any suggestions about questions or anything in general about buying mesa boogies off ebay? Something I should be on the look out for?

Ask about the shipping box - is it original? You will have the best luck with the original shipping material. Also, the warranty is not transferable unless you have the original receipt from an authorized Mesa dealer. I got that straight from Mesa. Basic stuff - "I bought this a year ago" is not the same as "I bought this new a year ago". Guys will try to pass off stuff they bought off Ebay like it's new. I always ask for the age of the amp. If the seller doesn't respond, that tells you something. Watch out for "I think" and "was told" - that means nothing. If your looking for a newer amp, the lettering on the tubes would be black, not white (please someone correct me if I'm wrong about that). I think white lettering on the tubes means at least three years old. Then there's jacked up shipping costs. That means the seller is trying to get you to pay the Ebay and PayPal fees. Did you know it's against Ebay policy to charge a buyer more for PayPal? Check the seller's feedback carefully - read the good and the bad if any. Good pictures are important - fuzzy photos hide a lot of problems.

Of course, if it seems to good to be true...

+1 to all above. I think one of the best things you can do is be as knowledgeable on the amp as you possibly can. This will allow you to spot tell-tale signs of a "true or a fake" very easily.

For example, I knew everything about the amps I purchased in my sig before I bought them. After that, it was just asking the seller to confirm things for you and seeing their attitude and what not.

I would ask something such as "what is the number engraved on the bottom of the transformer." If you know it should be XYZ, and he says ABC, you have a fraud.

Just the usual Ebay things... don't buy from a guy who just set up an account, or who has only bought/sold things ENTIRELY unrelated to musical equip....

Order from someplace geographically near to you (=less transit time)

I bought my Solo 50 from Instrument Exchange, and despite not having an AC cord upon arrival (and never receiving one thereafter) it arrived in tact and nearly complete...though about two weeks late.

Good luck mang! :wink:

When you buy a used amp whether on E-bay or not, take into consideration that you may have to re-tube. I bought both of my Mesa's used. An F-50 from a local store and an RK1 head off of E-bay. Fortunately, both are good amps, but I had to retube both of them.

So, you may want to ask how old the tubes are, as well. Good luck on finding the one you want.

packaging is crutial,make sure its gonna be in one peice by the time it reaches you,I have bought amps from ebay,no problem,as long as thee seller sounds responsible,has full checks done,your money and gear are safe,I even bought an american dual rec from ebay.com and no fuss,I had it shipped to me here in scotland,just make sure the seller is using common sense when shipping the amps out

Euan

Platypus said:
If I ever ship an amp again, I will use a lot of bubble wrap. Ship for war.

Yep, good one! When I got my RK, I had to spend 45 minutes vaccuuming popcorn out of the head!!! :shock: They did a poor job of packing and didn't put in a plastic bag. :( So it was a battle, but ultimately that war was won. HAHAHAHA! :D

Latest posts

Back