Building tube amp from kit/scratch

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there's some guy that holds a 2 day amp clinic. you build some really great sounding hot rodded marshall beast of a thing. he even tells you how to mod it and stuff.

I think it's called Brunetti? something like that...

If you go to harmony central and search around for amp building clinic or something or the sorts, you'll find it. You can even youtube it and hear it.

Metroamp seems like a good choice. I'm pretty sure you can download their instructions so you can get an idea of what you are getting into. If you haven't done anything like this I'd recommend building some pedals or a really small amp first just to get some practice in. I've built a 1 watt amp, 3 pedals and I'm probably going to build a larger amp sometime later this year.

A good way to get into building amps is to buy an epiphone valve junior and mod it, that's what I did.
Here are some good forums for amp building.

ax84.com (best up right now IMO)
18watt.com (down right will be back up soon i hope)
SEwatt.com (New sister site to the 18watt will be open soon and will contain VJ moding information. The Vj was such a big hit the Sewatt forum was inspired by it.)
http://sloclone.yesterdaysrevolt.com/ (that one for building soldano mesa type amps.)

what is the MMOT mod the mercury magnets OT and choke?

The Mercury Magnet upgrade mod is a joke. I did a mix between what's known as the Gold mod and a fender mod. you can buy upgrade kits from http://www.turretboards.com/ I just just mod'ed my PCB, but the torret boards they sell would have been a little easier since i was constantly trying new things. I don't think I would go with their transformer since it a 5k primary transformer a better match for an el84. The hammond transformer are just as good as the one's that MM will sell you and for around 30 bucks.

I could actually send you an excel file with all the 18watt developed mod. I'd need your email address.

I'm not sure if anybody sells anything like this. As far as I know everbody just makes there own. It's just a couple of clips with a resistor in the middle.

And btw I'm pretty sure you can bleed out the caps by turning the amp on while it's unplugged. But *don't* bet on it! Make sure you always bleed them out with the above clip/resistor method.

mesanomad100 said:
I think it sounds like a load a fun

It is! With the right amount of patience, practice, research and perserverance you can build an amp that rivals most of the boutique stuff out there at a fraction of the price.

Can't wait to build my next amp...

it would be something to be proud of,ya know,plugging in and gettin seroius tones from your own creation!!

Its a good idea

definatly a nice feeling. I turned the VJ into a great sounding amp. But i basically built my own circuit in the chassis. In a lot of ways it has better tone than my Mesa, but it's in a totally different category as well. Almost all amplifiers are based off the fender bassman.

i'm a tube amp builder myself (i also do fx and repairs and mods :)

i've build 2 amps up till now.
The first one is a Mashall "18 watter" (1974x) lite2b, modded to my taste.
I took the tubes (2x mullard 12ax7, 2x mullard el84, 1x mullard ez81 all the tubes where in nos condition), chassis, sockets, and transformers from an old geloso PA tube amp from the fifties (i gutted it completly). I got that amp for free. The total price would be around 50€ as i've only had to pay for the resistors and capacitors and potmeters.

The second one is a Marshall 2204/1987 hybride. Again it's build inside an old geloso tube amp (so i reused it's chassis, tubes(2x mullard 12ax7, 1x mullard 12at7, 2x mullard el34 all the tubes where in nos condition), ...), but now from the 60ies. I got this amp also for free :). This amp was a bit more expensive to build because i needed more stuff (relays, switches, more pots, more resistors, ...) and i've installed a new transformer to power the relays. I'd guess the total price to 100€. The amp is constructed, but i'm still in it's modding fase.

The third amp is currently a design project. I've bought an old 100w guitar tube amp for 85€, and it only had a slight problem (slight hum and a bit of crackling). I thought i was going to be able to fix it, but it was build on a pcb and it was in real bad condition so i ripped it out. The amp was by the way a hiwatt DR103 copy that someone build in 1973. It contains a good PT and OT set, 4x marshall el34 and 4 sovtek 12ax7, a good reusable alu chassis and a nice tolexed wooden headcab!!.
I'm planning on making a soldano slo100 out of this.

Latest posts

Back