Building some Mark Series sized head cabs (and thieles)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GTS , those are lookin' gooood!
Are you using CNC equipment ?

" You can tell a cabinetmaker real easy , they're the ones that bookmatch bacon slices in the frying pan while making breakfast . "

Looks excellent :D

Maybe cut a dip on the front panel as per Mesa's cabs? This allows much easier access to the preamp valves, and also easier connection/disconnection of the reverb tank cables. Plus maybe a little better cooling?

Looking great! I see you did cut out the fan, and reverb tanks.

gts said:
Eventually I plan to do some in hardwood with Dovetails. (both heads and thieles).
I may also do some in plywood with Dovetails just to see how they assemble. These may also look good even without tolex!
If you plan to do dovetail joints, try to find lumber yard that supplies Baltic plywood, at least 13 plys. They don't splinter as much.

Then again, you could use the technique 1/8" MFD board by laying between and plywood and dovetail router bit to minimize splintering.

looks good man. unfortunately my mill is a non cnc. one of these days though.....

but i have a working powdercoating booth if that counts for anything.

gts said:
Buddy said:
I'm liking appleply . :D
Fruitwoods galore!! Apple really is a very nice looking wood.

Actually it is very similar to BB , with a maple face and alternating 1/16 layers of alder and birch . Tonewood ply ! U.S.A made and gives a real cool effect with 1/2 blind dovetails ..... 8) Not quite as expensive as genuine BB. 8) 8)

Lookin good George :) Now I know why you've been collecting those EVM12Ls...

Are u going to router the corners?

Do you have an existing Mesa head to compare these to?

If they are under $200, I'll buy one. :wink:

Wow, gts. Really nice!! May I ask what you what you'd be asking for a thiele cab? Alternatively (and easier to build, I am supposing) a 3/4 back cab the same size as the Thiele (like the old 112 Boog cabs) to put under my existing Thiele. And how about untolexed; I love looking at woodwork ...beautiful :)

Edward

gts said:
Yep corners were all rounded over, (3/8" radius router bit) ...

May need some input/ advice on what to put on the inside top of the cab to keep interference out. (Aluminum? Aluminum foil? ;-) ).

Fun stuff!
... uh, are you planning to install protective chrome corners? I suggestion cornering with 1/2" round over if you are tolexing. It fits better, snugged, 3/8" may leave a gap.

I use heavy duty aluminum foil. Copper is expensive.

You might be correct about using 3/8" cornering.

I have both cornering router bit I don't remember which one I actually end up using for a better fit. I just thought the 1/2" wrapped better. Of course it such a small factor either cornering should be o-kay. Need room for "fudge" factor. :wink:

It also depends on the corner you are using. Boogie uses those Fender type w/ counter sink holes.

Yup woodworking is fun when you have the facilities. :D

If you are just doing these for fun could you post the drawings they were made from? Even if you think its giving away to much of your hardwork, I seriously doubt it would kill the market.

And also,

PLEASE? :D

Back