Buckeye asks for Mk II C+ Advice

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsch425

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Boogie Enthusiasts --
I am the proud owner of a Mk II C+, rev, EQ, black, 60w, serial #12900. I ordered this baby direct from the factory back in the day. I still even have the original receipt and "Thanks for your order" letter signed by Randall Smith, dated April 20, 1984. This amp has been my only amp since then, and I have played literally thousands of gigs with this old dude. Other than new tubes and squirting the pots, this amp has never been serviced. I am now starting to experience intermittant outages -- it's not totally dead, but barely audible and real buzzy. Nothing within my power revives him, he just comes back to life when he feels like it. He'll then work fine for weeks or months, then fpppppt again. I'm in Central Ohio, no authorized Boogie repair places around here than I'm aware of. Advice to a fellow Boogieman?

It's probably worth it to have it serviced by Mike B himself in CA.. if you end up doing this, make sure you pack it to survive a nuclear blast... the couriers love to destroy amps.

Yes, I would definitely send it to Boogie and have Mike B. take care of it. It might just need filter caps or something.

We are very lucky, nearly 25 years after the fact, to have the guy who designed the amp still working on them at the factory.

It most likely needs re-capped.

If/when you send it to Mesa, just send the chassis. No cab and no tubes. They'll give it a complete checkout regardless.(I've done this)

Before you pull the chassis, unplug the AC cord from the wall then turn on the Power and Standby switches while leaving the speaker plugged in. That will almost completely discharge the caps and keep you from becoming a dead man in case you touch something that has high voltage.

I would think that your effects loop return is dirty or bent. Try a patch cabe from the send to return and see if it magically comes back to life. I have 3 IIC+'s over 22 years old and are all original. I could probably drop them off my roof and they would fire up. Let's get through a few simple diagnostic procedures before assuming the worst.

Back