Bought an Express 5:50 2X12 today ...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilerty

Reaction score
After looking for something to replace my Twin for several months, I traded the Twin in on an Express 5:50 2X12 today. I only play at home and have wanted a lower powered amp for a while. When the 5:50 was first announced, it sounded like exactly what I was looking for. I finally got a chance to try one and pulled the trigger today. It can still give me the Twin clean and so much more. Obviously I haven't had it long enough to appreciate all it's capabilities, but it is very impressive so far.

I did a similar thing & traded a '65 re-issue twin reverb for a 5:50 1x12. It does so much more than the twin could do. I could never get the non-master volume twin to overdrive without deafening people!
8)

Hey guys,

Would you tell us more about your impressions of this amp? I'm picking one up this weekend (1 x 12) and have been looking for any and all reviews I can find.

I've heard that there are some quality control issues with this amp. Have you seen any problems with yours so far?

Thanks in advance,

pusher

Pusher - I've had my Express 5:50 1x12 since February, and it is a sweet amp! The clean is the reason I bought it, and it produces exactly the tone I was looking for; rich (like me!) , dimensional and very dynamic! I've been playing it in a band with another guitarist (with a LSC) , acoustic guitarist, keyboardist, bass and drums and it cuts through the mix so amazingly well! I only have the master volume of the clean channel at about 8 O'Clock (gain at Noon) and it gives me all the headroom I could ever need. It's all about digging in with the pick to get over-the-top volume! Seriously, I am amazed at how good it is!

The gain channel is excellent also, I primarily use the Blues mode and that is just a lovely lead tone that provides a nice creamy break-up according to your pick attack.

For home use the 5 watt mode is perfect. The reverb is outstandingly beautiful and the contour controls really do make the sound jump out of the speakers! I had been thinking about getting an extension cab for mine, but after the last few rehearsals and shows I just don't see what benefit I would really get from one! I love the fact that it is a small amp, and relatively light. It fits perfectly on my amp stand and I'm good to go with that, my guitars and a couple of pedals!

Regarding quality; I have had no trouble with mine at all so far. I have a rehearsal this evening, so hopefully I didn't jinx myself! :D

All in all, a great piece and one that I am never going to get rid of. Now, if they only made an EL34 version of the Express (a baby ACE?), then I'd get one to go along with it! Maybe next year, eh?

Cheers,

Richt :D

Richt - Thanks!

I can't wait for Saturday, so I can run down to the next town over and pick one up. The GC in my town is out of them for another 3 weeks. I've heard a lot of great things so far.

I just sold my 50/50 amp, Studio Pre, and 2 single 12" EVM cabs on Ebay just so I could get a combo, and this seems like the one. I'm looking forward to hearing the reverb, actually.

Thanks again for your great review.

push

Excellent! Congrats, and I really hope you enjoy it and that you have no trouble with yours, because that kind of stuff just sucks!

All the best,

Richt :D

you sold your 50/50 ! NOOOOOOO !

express is an awesome amp tho. you'll love it.

don't ever sell your gear. take it from me. i hate myself everyday and i am still, 10 years later, trying to get it all back. it's hard to move forward and backward at the same time. :cry:

I know, I know. I loved my rig. I had it for about 20 years. When I packed it up, I was a little depressed.

I loved the tone of my rig, I just couldn't haul it around any more. I need a combo.

I was surprised to see that you can readily get your old stuff on Ebay. I was also impressed that the used prices held up pretty well.

Out with the old, in with the new. My amp could come in tomorrow! I'm on call, waiting for the sales guy to call me. It's like having a baby or something.

pusher

Latest posts

Back