Bought A Mark IV !!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dror520

Reaction score
Hi guys i finally bought my dream amp !!! the Mark IV !!! but i don't know anything about this amp ... the serial number is: IV3530. is it a short head or a medium head ? what year was it made and all that stuff ... plus can you give me you're settings for this amp 'cuz i want to try as many settings i can find until i find the right one for me ... many people say at the beginning the amp sound awful so i hope i would get a great sound out of it like i heard on this forum !!! so thx for you're time !!!

Gongratulations, and welcome to the Mark IV family. You can see the difference between short and medium head from the frontplate. Short head doesn't have switches between the output level knob and graphic equalizer. The short head is approx 18 inches wide and medium head approx 22 inches. If you want to know the manufacturing year, I think you should sent email to Mesa.

Read the manual carefully at least couple of times. You can get the manual as a PDF file from Mesa netsite.
Settings you can find from this excellent site:

http://grailtone.com/tone-settings/mesa-boogie/view-mark4-settings.html

I can't give you any good tips as i haven't a gotten a mark iv yet, but it's next on my wish list. Sounds like you'll have a lot of fun with it!

myqqy said:
I can't give you any good tips as i haven't a gotten a mark iv yet, but it's next on my wish list. Sounds like you'll have a lot of fun with it!

I sure hope so !!!

Welcome to Club IV! It's been said to death on this forum but Read the manual! It's not an easy amp to figure out but the manual has a lot of info that will prevent you running it into out of control mode. If you don't have a manual you can download it at mesa boogie's website. But as a tip run your mid's Higher than normal for that sweet boogie lead!

I second that - it may not be part of the 'male code' but reading the manual is an absolute must for this beast!! Oh, and welcome to years of tweaking and never being quite happy!

It's not said enough, but one of the best things about a Boogie (other than the build, the sound, the service.......) is the manual! Who writes these?

zebpedersen said:
It's not said enough, but one of the best things about a Boogie (other than the build, the sound, the service.......) is the manual! Who writes these?

Doug West

Thx for you're help !!! but i still got a question ... in the rear panel i have a switch that isn't on the manual .... it's called ground and has three way switch: off, A, B can someone tell me what it is and does? thx ....

That's because your Mark IV is the A version, and the manual you got from Boogie is for the B version. Here you go:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=27180&highlight=manual

I wish the moderator can make this a sticky.

That switch is a ground switch, which is currently illegal in the US. You supposedly switch to A or B if you have humming problem. Keep it in the middle position.

Have fun dude. You've just bought yourself the most versatile, aggresive yet smoothest sounding amp ever.

You're welcome. Humming can be caused by a lot of things; bad grounding, unmatched power tubes, bad caps, bad tubes etc. For the grounding part, just make sure your AC source is properly grounded. The ground switch is sort of like band-aid.

in my mark iv i have two mesa's el34 on the outside and two audio classic 6l6 in the inside ... what tubes do you recommend me to put there instead of that ?

I have Mesa STR450's (EL34's) on the outside and Mesa STR454's (6L6's) on the inside. Sounds killer! STR454's are relabeled SED winged C's. Mesa doesn't stock them anymore. You can give Doug a call at Dougstubes and tell him they're for a MKIV and he'll hook you up. Also, lots of glowing reviews for 6V6's which I'll be ordering shortly. Make sure you read and follow the directions for 6V6 use with your MKIV if you plan to go this route.

Latest posts

Back