Boss Metal Core on RKII

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smashingchicago

Reaction score
I just bought a Boss Metal Core pedal and I am playing it through the clean channel (channel 1) on my RKII. I get a nice sick distortion when using my metal core; but it seems I just can't hit that same distortion level natively on my RKII head -- even on channel 4 using a variety of different EQ settings and tube selections.

Anyone else experience this?

So you are saying that you can't get your expensive tube amp to sound like a solid state pedal?

:lol:

Do you like the Metal Core distortion better? I haven't liked a distortion pedal in about 20 years.

I am saying I like the sound of the metal core and it's seems to be difficult to get the RKII to the same level of "chunk" that the metal core produces. I changed out the V1 preamp tube and it does seem better now....

you should give me your road king and buy a peavey bandit, that should achieve the chunk you're going for

smashingchicago said:
I am saying I like the sound of the metal core and it's seems to be difficult to get the RKII to the same level of "chunk" that the metal core produces. I changed out the V1 preamp tube and it does seem better now....

If you like the sharper tone of solid state distortion you may want to dump the RK II and get a clean poweramp for your distortion devices.

Another option is to get an Overdrive pedal of some sort and use it as a clean boost in front of channel 4 to sharpen up the palm mutes a little......

Platypus said:
Where are your volume controls at? Do you use the output knob (FX loop)?

I had tried volume at high and low levels, with and without the FX loop. But I posted a response earlier in this thread that a V1 tube replacement fixed the issue. I had been away from my RKII for awhile because I was traveling and it must have gone out on me.....Thanks for the feedback...

Latest posts

Back