Boss GT-8 or GT-10

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I have a GT 10 that I use with my studio preamp and mark 3 and if you are going to use the four cable method this pedal is perfect. I use the amps preamp and the gt's effects.
What I like the best is that it has a looper for performance and patch editing so you can play a riff in the looper and then loop it and adjust your settings and hear the changes without having to play.
The onboard amp sims suck but if your using your own preamp it is great.

The GT-8 is great using 4CM with my DC-3 head. I wish it had a looper but i'm buying a BOSS RC-2 to fix that. I like the 8 better than the 10 - more knobs for easier tweaking (IMO), easier to read screen(and not so **** bright), no bright LEDs, and it just looks cooler (that counts for something!). The 10 is said to have better amp sims but I don't use mine very often so the extra dough is not worth it to me. No noticeable tone suckage here either...

I use my GT-6 for a MIDI controller for the Triaxis and a Rocktron Prophesy II and an in-line volume control for the overall guitar signal before it gets to the rack. I use it that way so that the signal only runs through the first half of the GT before it gets to the tone sucking portion of the unit. Using it that way I can also use the GT WAH it works pretty well.

I try to use Monster cables most of the time, I haven't had any of them fail on me yet. I have had other lifetime warranted cables fail in use, which that life time warranty doesn't do a bit of good at the moment of failure. Extremely long life and very reliable life without failure is much more important than lifetime warranty to me.

My signal chain is like this:

Guitars -> GT Input
GT External Send (Must Have External Loop Turned On) -> Prophesy Input
Prophesy Loop Send -> Triaxis Input
Triaxis Output(s) -> Prophesy Loop Returns
Prophesy Stereo Outputs -> Carvin TS100 Power Amp
Carvin TS100 Outputs -> Carvin Legacy 2 X 12 Stereo Cabinet
(Also Prophesy Stereo XLR Outputs Direct To Mixer)

This signal chain gives me the use of the GT in-line volume and a couple pregain effects prior to the gain on the Triaxis preamp and the signal never goes through the GT functions that suck tone. The GT preamp cannot be in the GT internal signal chain even if it is turned off or your tone WILL suffer.

Rock On Dude!

P.S. I hope to replace the GT with a G-System in the future.

Spoons said:
I use my GT-6 for a MIDI controller for the Triaxis and a Rocktron Prophesy II and an in-line volume control for the overall guitar signal before it gets to the rack. I use it that way so that the signal only runs through the first half of the GT before it gets to the tone sucking portion of the unit. Using it that way I can also use the GT WAH it works pretty well.
Hey I currently have a GT6 and I'm about to buy the Triaxis... I say a post about controlling via MIDI the triaxis with the GT6? Is that real?

Can I actually change a patch in the GT6 and automatically change the preset in the triaxis?

If so, please help me to know how I need to connect it and if it needs some extra configuriation...

Thank you!!

MusicManJP6 said:
ryjan said:
Gt-10 gets my vote for the looper alone.
Gt-8 if found used at a good price would win me over though.

I have a GT-8 and a RC-2 looper so I'm good to go. ;)
Sweet! I'm still hunting for a good used Gt-8 but I may get a looper first. My trusty Gt-3 will have to suffice until then.

Had a GT-6 when it first came out, sold it and upgraded to the GT-8. Couldn't find peace with the 4 channel method - the loops when bypassed still color the sound like crazy. That combined with the amp fx loop not sending 100% of the signal made it so that any time I tried to use the distortions or overdrives of the GT-8 I had to make sure I was on the same channel of the amp, even when I wasn't using the amp's pre. No matter what I did, I had to keep settings in mind of parameters I wasn't even using. I got tired of it ended up with a G Force and GCX... ah the endless search for complete flexibility married with uncompromised tone...

Oh, I forgot, I even got a GT Pro after the GT-8. I loved the flexibility of the GT Pro, but it was missing a lot of important tweakable parameterse for the FX. For instance, a lot of times the FX would just have a "tone" knob rather than individual eq or other settings. I'm a tweaker at heart. I don't want unnecessary knobs, nor complex lay outs. But I do want control. Just giving me a "tone" control for a compressor? Come on...

metal190 said:
Oh, I forgot, I even got a GT Pro after the GT-8. I loved the flexibility of the GT Pro, but it was missing a lot of important tweakable parameterse for the FX. For instance, a lot of times the FX would just have a "tone" knob rather than individual eq or other settings. I'm a tweaker at heart. I don't want unnecessary knobs, nor complex lay outs. But I do want control. Just giving me a "tone" control for a compressor? Come on...

Get yourself a Rocktron Prophesy II, I have one and use it primarily for FX but it also comes in real handy for an emergency preamp as a backup. Note: it also has a 12AX7 tube in the pregain stages of the unit to warm the tones and IMHO comparing it to the GT tones, it beats them in every respect. It also had regular amp knobs for on the fly tweaking, it's pretty cool!

I was really interested in the prophesy for a while, but I guess I ended up wanting something that "just" did FX and didn't even attempt at distorted/overdriven sounds. After having a G Force for a couple years and always eye balling some model of harmonizer, I think I'm actually going to end up jumping on the Axe FX band wagon. Those things sound killer - and it sounds like they have all the flexibility I could want and then some.

magemab said:
Spoons said:
Hey I currently have a GT6 and I'm about to buy the Triaxis... I say a post about controlling via MIDI the triaxis with the GT6? Is that real?

Can I actually change a patch in the GT6 and automatically change the preset in the triaxis?

If so, please help me to know how I need to connect it and if it needs some extra configuriation...

Thank you!!

Absolutely. You can change patches on the GT and it will send the program change info the the Triaxis. But wait - there's more ... you can configure the pedal on the GT-8 / 10 to send CC messages and alter any of the parameters on the Triaxis on the fly. For example, you could go from low gain quiet sound to full blown distortion etc - by rolling the pedal from up to down.

Hope this helps, Scooter.

Scooter - how do you like the tones of the JMP-1? I've thought about picking one up for quite some time, although I've never actually played one. Do you feel like you can pick up any of the tones from your 410H on the JMP-1? I definitely love the tones of the 410H.

scoot_001 said:
Absolutely. You can change patches on the GT and it will send the program change info the the Triaxis.
If I'm not mistaken, the GT has MIDI mapping too so you can send ANY program change number to the TriAxis, not just same number as on the GT.

Danimal said:
If I'm not mistaken, the GT has MIDI mapping too so you can send ANY program change number to the TriAxis, not just same number as on the GT.
True, I'm using the GT-6 as a MIDI controller only. You can change the midi number for everything EXCEPT the (4) patch pedals and the patch Up/Down.

Danimal said:
scoot_001 said:
Absolutely. You can change patches on the GT and it will send the program change info the the Triaxis.

Yep - you are quite correct. I looked at this feature but have not used it. I have used it to change my Triaxis although I now use my old GP-8 with FC-100. I have also used both my GP-8 and GT-8 to change my JVM-410H - works a treat.

Infact - mid set - when my Triaxis died, I wired the GP-8 midi to my Marshall, spend 2 minutes getting the Marshall to learn the prog numbers to use for each channel / voice and I was away again.

metal190 said:
Scooter - how do you like the tones of the JMP-1? I've thought about picking one up for quite some time, although I've never actually played one. Do you feel like you can pick up any of the tones from your 410H on the JMP-1? I definitely love the tones of the 410H.

The tone of the JVM was the first thing I noticed when I brought it home and plugged it in - even the wife commented on it (as well as the volume :lol: ). Unlike other Marshall's that I've owned, the JVM is probably the best so far (apart from the JMP1). The only thing I would say I struggle with is that you have to re-learn the volume / gain proportions again. It goes to distortion really easily so I tended to drive less hard to get a cleaner sound - a bit more definition. What I found was that with less drive - the bottom end disappears. Drive it really hard and the foundations shake ... This is a pain for me ... and probably a bit to do with my guitar. I would like to change to some active pickups or another type of guitar ... but that's a rant for another day

So - as to your question - I haven't tried to capture the JVM tone on the JMP1 although I used the JMP1 for about 10 years as the only amp I owned. I ended up with about 6 sounds from clean to crunch to searing over the top distortion. It can create some great voices. Favorite channels were Clean 2 and OD 1 - both are bloody brilliant. It was without doubt the best amp setup I ever owned - reliable - never missed a beat. Like the Triaxis - you set the sound and no matter what volume you play at - it stays the same.

Hope this helps, regards, Peter

scoot_001 said:
I used the JMP1 for about 10 years as the only amp I owned.
Do you use the JMP-1 along with your TriAxis? I've been kicking around the idea of getting a JMP-1 to add to my rig but I am totally in the dark about how to switch between them. My Randall RT2/50 power amp has channel switching so I could use that but it would limit the ability to change tubes for each preamp.

Thanks!

Danimal said:
Do you use the JMP-1 along with your TriAxis? I've been kicking around the idea of getting a JMP-1 to add to my rig but I am totally in the dark about how to switch between them. My Randall RT2/50 power amp has channel switching so I could use that but it would limit the ability to change tubes for each preamp.

So have I ... but to date, I haven't hooked both of them up. What I have done though is to cable my guitar into my GT-8, the two leads out of it. One goes to my JVM input, and the other to my TriAxis. I then cable the TriAxis into the FX return on the JVM head and I can have the best of both worlds - and it works pretty well. The only thing I have to be careful of is that the TriAxis volume is dependent on which master volume I am switched to on the main amp - so I need to have the right Tri sound for each channel.

Reality for me is that my TriAxis is second hand and his a bit broken. It crashed at the first gig I played - kept freezing up and would not change patches. I have unplugged / replugged all the internal cables 3 times but it still goes wrong. Now - also some of the front panel buttons do not work. It is a real pain as I cannot rely on it's amazing sounds. I will get it fixed - but gotta save up some cash first ... or sell some of my other stuff ...

If you get it going I'd like to know your thoughts - and how yo have done the switching

Cheers.

Back