Boost stomp-box in front of amp instead of in FX loop??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
I just got my new (new to me) Tremoverb head last week and was going to get the FX loop modded from Paralell to Series so I could use a level boost pedal in the loop and get the same effect as the "Solo Heads" have for the solo featrue.......But, what about running the boost in front of my amp?? Would that change my tone too much for my solos?? That's all I want the boost feature for is for my solos. So if I ran it in front of my amp would I get the same level boost or would it just sound more compressed and saturated?? I'm wanting to use the boost for clean and distored leads.

The pedal I'm looking at is supposed to give me something like a range of 6 to 25 db clean volume boost, it's the Marshall Bluesbreaker II where you can use it as either a clean boost or flip the switch and use it as a distortion box (It was the cheapest boost on ebay last week is why I got it).

So basically I'd be increasing the signal being sent to my amp.

Generally speaking, if you boost your signal going into the preamp (i.e., putting your boost pedal in front of the amp input), it's going to drive the preamp section harder providing mostly a gain boost with a very slight volume boost...which is not what I think you are trying to acheive...the volume boost is so slight that it's not going to put your solo's out there where you want them. You basically just want to increase volume, but keep the basic tone the same, right? In that case, you need to put your boost in the effects loop.

Why not just dime the effects mix level (turn up to 100%)??...doing so basically turns your parallel effects loop into a serial loop without doing any mods to the amp...it routes 100% of the signal through the effects loop. If I was still gigging, that's what I'd do with my F-50.

I tried that with my Triple Rectifier on some other FX, and it sounded all out of phayse...... But the triple's FX knob only went to 90%, I may try it with my Tremoverb and see what happens before I go poking around inside the amp. Thanks for the reply, sometimes the easiest solutions get over looked, thats why I put it up here to be seen.

Thanks!

surfcaster pretty much hit it.

The solo feature is just a seperate master output, not quite the same as using a pedal for a boost, regardless of which end its on.

I would just try using a boost infront, you may like it. Yeah, it will cook your pre amp a little more, but since its for solos, if you set it up right the touch of extra gain can become helpful with giving your single notes a little more sizzle.

You could also try a volume pedal, and just set it so that the lower volume is for normal playing and cranked its for solos, essentialy doing the reverse of what you would get w/ a boost, but having a similar dynamic result as to what you want.

Latest posts

Back