Boogiebabies

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 2126

Reaction score
BB or anyone can you just tell me why some Mark III got Celestion Black Shadow and others like mine got Electro Voice Black Shadow. what the difference between those two.
Cheers :wink:

I believe the Celestion 90 became the stock speaker in the MK III era. The EV was an upgrade until it became unavailable not too long ago.

darkirish said:
BB or anyone can you just tell me why some Mark III got Celestion Black Shadow and others like mine got Electro Voice Black Shadow. what the difference between those two.
Cheers :wink:

There were two speaker choices. The EV-12L and the MS-12.
The C-90 did not come out until sometime during the Green Stripe era.
The EV is a 200 watt and the MS-12 is a 150 watt and is loosely based on the 12L. It was made for Mesa by Eminence. Mesa stopped using them both sometime in the mid 90's and switched to the C-90, another special design for Mesa. I have not had the opportunity to try a C-90, but I am totally amazed at both the EV-12L and the MS-12. Honestly, I am not partial to the tone of an open back combo and prefer closed back cabinets, so I have the 1X12 EV Thiele, Mesa 4X12 Traditional Slant with V-30's, Soldano 4X12 Slant with front loaded V-30's and two Silver Jubilee straight and slant cabs with GT1275's. If I use an open back, I always use the EV and the EV Thiele to compensate.

I found a Mesa catalog from 1984. This is the catalog that introduces the MK III. The speaker choices were as follows

Mesa Black Shadow MS 12, this is the 150 watter made by Eminence. There are 2 versions of this speaker. One with a smooth cone, and one with a ribbed cone. Smooth cone is the 1st version.

Vintage Black Shadow 50 watter made by Eminence. Stock speaker in the Studio 22.

Celestion Black Shadow, 90 watter still in use today.

EVM Black Shadow, 200 watts This is an EVM 12L with Mesa's label on it.

Unfortunately I don't have a price list from this period. But if I remember correctly from my Boogie retail sales days the MS 12 was considered the stock speaker. I don't believe there was an up charge for the Celestion, but there was an upcharge for the EV. I think it was $100 extra for an EV.
So the MC 90 has been in use since at least 1984. The EV was available until last year when EV stopped making it.

Back