Boogie SOB 100 watt head - tell me it's the tubes...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

es336td

Reaction score
Last night, while I was waiting for laundry to finish so I could put it in the dryer, I decided to hook up my SOB/Weber 2X10 cabinet and play with it for a while. I had a cable where the tip on one end had shifted and it wouldn't go into a jack. Corrected that by gently squeezing with pliers. I was playing a friends old Harmony Strat clone, which has sounded ok in the past with no more than typical Strat noise. I had just watched a video of PRS SE amps where they were saying to crank the master to 10 and adjust the other channels accordingly. I did so. Before I even plugged in the guitar, there was a HUGE hum and some static spitting and stuff. No sparks just the horrible noise. I switched the ground lift switch to all 3 positions with no change. I put the Master back down to 2 where I normally run it and set all the other settings normally. The hum was still there, but not as noticeable. I checked the tubes; all were lit normally except one 6L6 (3rd from the left looking at the back of the amp). It had hardly any glow at all. Switched the 100 watt/60 watt switch a few times and noticed no change. So... I am assuming I need to take this beast to my tech? Could I just buy a quartet of 6L6's and the 12AX7 tubes and change them myself? Any thoughts?

Thanx
L

Haven't had time to pop it open yet. Maybe not until the weekend. When I do, I'll post pix. Since I haven't torn it open since I bought it in 2007, is the tube layout similar to the Mark I? It has reverb also; no EQ though.

Talked to the tech I use (Eric @ http://vikingamps.com/). He said he doubted if it was the resisters. He suspected the preamp tubes, told me I could use it be be gentle. On Friday night, I played around with it. I did the pencil flick test... none of the preamp tubes mad a sound but one of the 6L6s, however, did. Shut it all down and packed up for an early morning load in on Saturday. Saturday, since we were playing a chili cook-off, I took three amps; the SOB for crunch and leads, the Blues Jr for clean, and my Peavey KB-2 amp for synth. I've used this before and it worked well, although I never had the tone I wanted on the SOB; came close, but no cigar. We did 4 45 minute sets. After suffering through the 1st three sets, my friend, the sound tech, came up and asked me what I was doing to get such a crappy sound? I explained how I read the SOB worked. He asked to fiddle with it while I played. He dialed in magic and I finished the show with great Boogie tone! The settings were: Vol 1=4 Vol 2=8 Master=2.5 Treble=5 Bass=5 Mid=4 Reverb=2 Limit=0. I told him the Mark I manual warned against putting the bass up so high. He replied with, "When you've exhausted all the tricks in the manual with no success, trust your ears". Loaded up after that show, went home unloaded some gear (mostly the amps and synth "support system"), and headed out for a pickup gig. Just took the Boogie this time. We did two 1.5 hour sets with 1/2 an hour in between and the amp sang all night. During the break I was tuning and noticed a huge buzz in my rig. I bypassed my IEM and went direct, which led me to believe it was my panel connections in the back of the rack. I also noticed I was getting shocked each time I'd touch the mic while playing. Since I use a Line 6 Variax with it's power supply, I switched to just batteries... still got shocked. I just avoided contacting the mic all night. At the end of the night, I switched it to standby like I always do (it was also on standby during the break) and waited a bit. I then tried to switch the power off. The switch went down, but the power light stayed steady. I noticed some burning electronic smell and immediately unplugged it. Let it cool down before I moved it, and then loaded out. When I unloaded the car, I took it to the basement and set up. Plugged into the wall and blew a breaker. Contacted my tech and he said I probably had a shorted power switch. So, it's headed to him as soon as I can take it there. I won't have a big enough venue to play until December when I have two back to back weekends. Hopefully I can continue enjoying the new tone I found. I'll post the findings of the tech here when I find out.

Before getting the tone I REALLY liked on Saturday, I had considered installing two of these and converting two tubes to EL84s. My reasoning was, I have a Blues Jr with EL84s that I love, and one of the favorite amps I've used, Dr Z MAZ-38, uses EL84s. I contacted the people that make them now and they said that would be fine, but I needed to know what tubes were shutdown when the 60/100 was in 60. Anyone know? Anyone done this? Would it be a good move, or nothing but problems? Thanx!

JohnCarter said:
How did you get on with your Amp?

From my tech:

"I took a look at your amp and it's what I thought, you have a shorted power switch. I'm not sure why Mesa decided to wire those hot on those amps and fuse the neutral side. I can just replace it or I can rewire it as well to make the hot side fused so it won't take out the whole countys power if it ever happens again.

I'm out of that particular switch so I'll have to order it but it shouldn't take long."

He replaced the switch. I'm just waiting for him to finish working on my Blues Jr so I can pick them both up.

Latest posts

Back