Boogie Mark IIA/B Gain on the Fly

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gitapik

Reaction score
OK...I think I've finally got this figured out.

I came back to the electric after a very long solo acoustic trek. While reacquainting myself with my Mark IIB, I read posts and articles about a little known feature, unique to the IIA and IIB: "Gain on the fly".

I could get this feature by hooking up a volume pedal to the "preamp to power amp junction", underneath the amp, and then to the "Send" input for the effects loop, in back (on the IIB...see the link below for the IIA). I tried this, but had no luck. To my ear, what I got was a great volume pedal, but not what I considered to be "gain on the fly".

Tonight I checked out this link:

http://thegenerationofmusic.wordpress.com/

After reading his explanation and then listening to his playing, I now think that my confusion has been a matter of semantics. By "gain on the fly", I thought this meant I could begin with a completely clean signal and, as I pushed the volume pedal down, hear an increase in the OD/Distortion until, with the pedal fully depressed, I was getting the Lead Drive at 10. This, for me, would be GREAT!

This, to my ear, isn't actually the case. The key feature to this configuration (which, btw, doesn't require the hookup to the "Send" input...just one cable from the junction to the volume pedal does the trick) (on the IIB, at least) is that the tone of the amp stays the same, regardless of volume. When we use the guitar's volume pot, we lose treble and nuance when we turn it down. "Cleaning up" the distortion tone, etc. The "Gain on the fly" feature allows you to maintain that tone, regardless of volume. I remember that it was a selling point of the amp, when it first came out.

I had called Mike B at Mesa about this, and he thought that was what it was about, as well. He also asked whether I noticed a sudden "shift" in volume with the volume pedal and I did. He said this was normal...and not the greatest thing in the world. However: in the link, above, I don't hear that volume spike. I'm wondering if I get it because I'm using a cheap Boss volume pedal or maybe because I use single coils? Or both? Or maybe it should be a powered volume pedal. Mine's passive. I don't know...but I'd like to find out.

Anyway: I'm very interested in hearing comments about this. As is, I think that this feature is one that fell between the cracks over the years. It was a big deal when the amp first came out. Very cool to be able to have that dirt stay the same from high to low volume. Then, if you wanted to back off on the distortion, you used the guitar's volume knob instead of the volume pedal.

I spent some time working on the IIB this weekend. Figure out the best way to get the tone I'm looking for. Here's what I've come up with:

1) I have a pretty beat up old Roland FV-50 volume pedal. I "permanently" borrowed a full size Ernie Ball pedal from a good friend (he plays all acoustic, now...nice loan). It's much more accurate. From low to full volume. A really nice pedal to work with.

2) When I just use one cable from the preamp/poweramp junction to the volume pedal (which is what the manual says to do), I get a definite spike in the volume as I depress the pedal. Suddenly it's at peak volume. Nothing in between. Mike B said that this was inherent to the connection and he's right.

3) If I hook the "Send" in the effects loop to the "In" on the pedal and the "Return" on the effects loop to the "Out" on the pedal, I get an extremely accurate recreation of the tone that's coming from the amp (both clean and lead channels) at any volume. It's very, very, very cool. Whether it's clean or high gain (either from the lead channel on the amp or from a pedal in the clean channel), you'll get that exact tone at any volume.

4) If I go straight into the volume pedal and then into the amp's input jack, it's as though I'm using the volume control of my guitar. Roll it back and you'll lose the highs and the hair from the distortion/OD.

It's not the full clean to filthiest distortion that I thought "gain on the fly" referred to, but it's really, really nice to be able to get that tone at any volume. Very much like power scaling in amps like the Suhr Badger and Tone King Metropolitan. Not too shabby for a 32 year old amp.

Latest posts

Back