Boogie IIB tube question.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancullinane

Reaction score
Just scored a IIB (60watt, reverb, eq) head from the bay. I'm in the process of changing tubes since a few preamp tubes seemed noisy especially with the reverb on. My chassis is labeled 1982. The sharpie marks for my V1 and V3 indicate that this should be a 12AT7 tube. Does this sound right? I thought V1 was supposed to be a 12AX7? Also another wierd thing was the reverb knob was acting like a gain knob, no reverb added just gain. I think this was a loose connection as this returned to normal once I checked the connection. I think this amp was originally a combo since the reverb pan seems longer thann the original slot in the bottom of the head. Looks like someone cut the hole larger.
Dan

Does it have the fetrons? It should have 12AX7's in those positions.
You may have one with a change reverb tank. I believe it should be an Accutronics 9AB2A12 3 spring.

You can use any or all combinations in the amp.. Ususally V1 is 12AX7, BUT you can use a 12AT7 to tone down the gain a little.

12AX7 has 100% output (or 'gain')
12AT7: 60%
12AU7: 40%
12AY7: ...I think 20-30% output.

You will have more effect in the first 3 tube positions. If you are trying
to soften the gain, put it in V3. V1 will cause the whole amp's input and
tonal response to have only 60% output.... no harm, no foul. check it out.

BWK

Ok, Thanks Ian and Boogiebabies. Here's what kind of moron I am. Had the amp out of the cab, upside down on a bench. It's actually V2 and V4 that are marked 12AT7. the V2 might just be bad printing. the manual I downloaded shows the AT7 in V4 for the reverb.

tried an AT7 in V4, really didn't notice any difference.
Thanks guys
DC

Back