Boogie Cabinet Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff5

Reaction score
I'm not even sure if this is the right forum although I couldn't figure out where to put this so I apologize in advance.

I just saw a great deal on an older Boogie cabinet loaded with EVM12Ls and Black Shadows. I've been kind of targeting one with V30s as I generally like their sound, but this deal may be too good to pass up. I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this combination of speakers or even the speakers themselves and what your thoughts are.

Rig wise I have a Triaxis with a 50/50 power amp. I play mostly metal (old/new, etc.) but do like other genres of rock/country rock/blues, etc. as well. My main concern though is always my high gain tone.

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

Boogie cabinet loaded with EVM12Ls and Black Shadows
EV12L's can handle anything you throw at them.
"Black Shadow" is a generic name that Mesa labeled many speakers. Even an EV could be labeled a Black Shadow.
You need to be more specific. (pictures would be nice) But I'll guess they are Celestion C-90's

As for V30's versus the above. Very different tones.
You're better off checking it out and see if you like it.

As for can they handle Metal? Sure. Many here use them for Metal.
Good luck.

(edited for typos)

The V30s might make for a great metal cab, but they wouldn't be my first choice for country rock or blues. Since your Triaxis is Mark based, I'd say go with the older cab. My preference for Mark amps is the C90/EVM combo. As versatile as it comes and can take whatever you throw at it, including metal/rock/country rock/blues, etc.

That said, I didn't like it with the two modern Mesas I owned, a Roadster and Stiletto. I think they were designed around V30s and really didn't shine with the older cabinet and speakers.

gts said:
But I'll guess they are Celestion C-90's

Which, for the OP's benefit (I'm sure you know this, gts), are Celestion Classic Lead 80s. A powerful, pretty neutral-sounding speaker that's not nearly as bright on the top end as a Vintage 30 or G12-T75.

I think it's pretty telling that C90s are the stock speaker for pretty much everything Mesa makes...except for Rectos. :)

Also, EVs and C90s go great together. Classic combo.

I would go with the V30's for recto/metal stuff.
Took me a long time to figure out why Mesa put
C90's in some cabs and V30's in others.I have a
4X12 with V30's ,sounds great with anything.

Which, for the OP's benefit (I'm sure you know this, gts), are Celestion Classic Lead 80s. A powerful, pretty neutral-sounding speaker that's not nearly as bright on the top end as a Vintage 30 or G12-T75.
I'm not sure that the MC-90 is a CL-80.
I have a Mesa Black Shadow that has a sticker on the side that says, "CL-80."
I have a Classic Lead 80 also.
They are slightly different. Both in tone and appearance.
To me the CL-80 has a darker midrange and sounds smoother on clean tones than the Classic Lead 80, which sounds more anxious to me.

Celestion Classic Lead 80: http://celestion.com/product/18/classic_lead/
Mesa Black Shadow: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CELESTION-MESA-BOOGIE-BLACK-SHADOW-MC-90-16-OHM-SPEAKER-MADE-IN-ENGLAND-/300678845821?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4601db157d
I asked the guy at Atlas Modified Speakers about the CL-80 vs. the Classic Lead 80 vs. the MC-90.
He said that the CL-80 is the same speaker as the MC-90, but not the Classic Lead 80.

You can see from the links above that the venting is different. Other than that, they may be the same speakers, but they don't sound the same.

For the OT.....
Those older Boogie cabs with MC-90's & EVM's are incredible for any style of music! You won't be able to make the break up with any normal guitar amp, which means that the sound you throw at them is the sound that will come out!
The Vintage 30's will have more sizzle and upper midrange. Great for brighter sounds, Vintage 30's don't work well for sparkling Fender tones, but they kill for sizzling leads!
I use MC-90's for most of our music because of the darker tones. We play some pretty heavy stuff, but with lots of cleans. Kind of Frank Zappa meets Incubus and 311 at a Rush concert with Zeppelin playing in the background......
You will, however, need help loading it if it is a 4x12! I can lug a Marshall 1960B around like it's nothing. My kids are heavier than those cabs are, but those older Mesa cabs are built to handle much more punishment and weigh a ton!
If you like the cab, but not the speakers, you can always sell the EVM's and MC-90's and then buy some Vintage 30's. You would probably have a little bit of cash to spare afterward too!

Back