blue angel or single rec?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

810wmb

Reaction score
i have a blue angel that is pretty much mint. i tried a single rec combo a couple of years ago and was very impressed.

mostly i liked the option of clean, crunch, and lead in one box without a bunch of pedals.

i run a ts9 and a vintage rat in front of the ba and get killer lead tones.

am i really gaining anything from trading?

i know i will still have to punch a couple of buttons, but mostly i'm talking tone here.

also thinking about retubing with the eurotubes kit if a trade is stupid.

is the retubing worth the $? i have the same tubes that came stock in it in new in 98? or so

thanks

Dude, it sounds like you dig your lead tone, which rocks! Why don't you get some stock tubes from Boogie and see what kind of life that breathes into your BA?

I really think you've answered your own questions, though. You will still be stomping on some sort of pedal either way you go! :mrgreen:

Thumbs up for a JJ retube.

I also have a pair of SED 6L6 that I run in the 6V6 sockets for a different tone.

As said above, you'll still be stomping on something to get to crunch, be it a pedal or a channel switch. The real question is what kind of tone are you looking for? 'Classic' rock and blues tones, or more modern high gain lead. It sounds like you're pretty happy with what you got now.

From my point of view, I used to like channel switching, but found over the years that I'd rather dial in a single tone and then overdrive with a fuzz or overdrive pedal for the more lead type crunch.

Ultimately, it's probably a six-of-one, half-dozen-of-another type of decision.

i'm going for the jj retube.

i talked to mesa and the guy there said in his opinion he would keep the blue angel. (he owns one)

bob at eurotubes said the same thing.

i get G A S alot!

the tech at mesa also advised AGAINST putting 6l6's in place of the 6v6's. just passing aalong the info.

completley different animal altogether. the blue angel has no where near the bottom end or headroom the rectoverb has. then again, the rectoverb will never touch the clean warmth and reverb of the blue angel...or the vintage style 6v6 tone...or the el84 vox vibe...or the simuclass body and sustain...or the classy black/blue faceplate....or come in a 4x10 for awsome punchyness...or have blue angel written on it...or come close to even comparing to the blue angels marvels of subtelty. oh ya, keep boogie tubes out of the angel, they do NOTHING for the tone. seriously. if ever tube choice mattered in a mesa, this amp is it. or patch choice....or power supply choice...or how bad your calloses are. but you know that, becuase you've already made your choice! good on ya.

oh ya, i have been advised by a mesa tech that its 100% OK! along with bob at eurotubes, and about 5 or 6 users on this board..and a local amp tech. trust me, its ok. well, its marvelous. but you wont' know!

I was wondering about re-tubing my Fender Deluxe a few years ago because it still sounded great to my ears, and then I took the plunge and got some new 6L6's and a rectifier tube and popped them in before a show and hit my first chord on the guitar and I about passed out from the added beauty the new tubes gave my already beautiful sounding amp. It made it louder, fuller and livlier. So, now I really know that a tube change will make adifference if it's been a while.

So I'd get a new set of tubes and you'll probably be back in love with your amp.... And that's coming from someone with a very bad case of G.A.S.!!!

Back