Better Tone and Feel from your Modeler

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cleekster

Reaction score
While i'm currently using an X3 Live i see no reason this couldn't work with any other modeler or for that matter any kind of non-tube amp/preamp. Awhile back i figured out that using my line 6 amps onboard graphic eq to tame the highs allowed me to get stupid loud and still have a totally usable tone...this also works with SS amps. What i did with my modeler is take things a step further and use a high "cut" filter(or roll-off) @3.5K.I find that this virtually eliminates all of the digital "sizzle" that would normally sit on top of the modelers tone and gives me a much more convincing amp-like tone in the sense of being warm and tubey.....it still isn't as good as tubes but it is close enough that most won't be able to tell the difference.

Another thing i've stumbled onto is how on my lead patches if i put a model of a tubescreamer in front of the amp sim it VASTLY improves the tone AND feel :mrgreen: .......when i put my bad Monkey in front of my recto it makes the sweet spot sweeter.....and so it is with my modeler 8) ....i've also found that if i set the amp and pedal gain a certain way it makes the feel aspect more exaggerated. :D

I figured some of you guys probably use modelers live or in the studio or for practice or whatever so i'd share what i found that works for me as it might work for you too.

in the interest of full disclosure i will now cough up some settings and my signal chain.

X3Live-2 rigs at once(both identical)with the output of both panned dead center utilizing the direct outs......into

Yamaha AW4416 DAW-i only use the eq set(flat) for a high [email protected] and when necassary a low-cut @74Hertz...again pan for both channels set dead center.....live this is sent to P.A. in my studio i then go to...

Roland Vs-840ex- no processing....pan set to hard right/left......into Event PS8 monitors.

Now for the settings i promised...i mainly use the Mesa Dual rec and marshall 800 amp sims:
Mesa- Bass(100) mid(80) Treble(90) Prescence(43)------"01 treadplate cab w/ sm57 on axis and 70% room
JCM 800- Bass(100) Mid(100) Treble(75) Prescence(14)-----'78 celst t-75 cab w/ sm57 on axis and 70% room

amp model gain/tubescreamer gain(drive)
20/0
25/10
30/21
35/32
40/45
45/55
50/66
55/75
60/85
65/92
70/100

Tubescreamer gain(level) is at 100 and tone is at 35.

anyway hope this helps.
Chris

Turumbar82 said:
Jak0lantern01 said:
Hmmm....You're going to hate this awful response, but here it is: buy a real tube amp.

And then run digital effects in the loop.

or analog in front of the amp, then turn the knobs until you like it...

ty

thunda1216 said:
Turumbar82 said:
Jak0lantern01 said:
Hmmm....You're going to hate this awful response, but here it is: buy a real tube amp.

or analog in front of the amp, then turn the knobs until you like it...

ty

yeah good point get a bunch of solid state analog pedals and put them in front of your amp because tube is better!

Jak0lantern01 said:
Actually.....i expected that kind of response from someone......if there's no glowing glass it can't be good...blah,blah,blah :lol:

but seriously you shouldn't knock it 'till you've tried it...... :mrgreen:

I started out with trans-amps and just found that something was missing. Trust me, I'm sure there's plenty of tube amps that I wouldn't be too fond of, either, but to each his own. Every amp has a different vibe to it.

Jak0lantern01 said:
I started out with trans-amps and just found that something was missing. Trust me, I'm sure there's plenty of tube amps that I wouldn't be too fond of, either, but to each his own. Every amp has a different vibe to it.

totally, ever played a Crate Blue Voodoo? lol It's tube. Sounds horrible

Turumbar82 said:
Jak0lantern01 said:

totally, ever played a Crate Blue Voodoo? lol It's tube. Sounds horrible
I played a Blue voodoo 6212(2x12 combo) that sounded great BUT every other blue voodoo i've ever played sucked balls :? ....i have a friend that has one of the black ones and it sounds pretty good as long as you don't crank it... :(

Turumbar82 said:
Jak0lantern01 said:

Yeah a digital eventide h3000 d/se box sounds like real crap with a tube amp :roll:

Funny, from another Pod user (XT Live) that our experiences seem almost identical. I actually don't roll off the highs until about 5.5k, but same idea. Definitely hear you on the overdrives: I don't quite get it, but it almost feels like in many of the distorted models there's a 'sluggishness' that almost feels like it's an exaggerated attempt to cop the 'feel' thing and be more dynamic. Slapping an overdrive model on there tends to make it feel closer to 'right' for me.

I think that might be the biggest problem with modelers this generation. There's 80 bajillion (exact figure) different ways to run the signal path even just internally. A whole lot of them sound pretty bad. Far cry from the the "How do I make this amp sound good? Oh, plug a guitar into it, you say?" stuff

Jak0lantern01 said:

Do you hang around motorcycle forums, wait until somebody offers some advice on maintaining and operating a Kawasaki based on their experience, and tell everybody that they should just buy a Harley? ;) Come to think of it that could be kinda fun...

Hmmm.....that's not a bad idea. Actually, it's just an extension of the debate my bassist (who also plays guitar) and I have been having for years now. He calls me a gear snoob, but I've never been happy with solid-state sounds, even before I knew any better. Go figure.

Latest posts

Back