Best way to connect 2 pre-amps > G Major 2 > 2:90 ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lento

Reaction score
What would be the best, and if possible, the simplest way of connecting 2 pre-amps, a G Major 2 and the 2:90 ?
At the moment I simply connect the G Major in the Triaxis loop, into the amp and control with a Yamaha MFC10 midi controller

Now, I have a Rockman XPR (still a 8) sound) and wish to incorporate that as well. I've looked at the GCX Audio Switcher and wonder if there is an alternative as I don't use pedals and probably don't need all that flexability.

I'd prefer something rackable but any suggestions welcome.

thanks
Lyn

what about wiring left side with one preamp in the signal chain and right side with the other preamp? Then you need only A/B box or something like that to split the signal from guitar into 2 ways to feed both preamp's

4Eyes said:
what about wiring left side with one preamp in the signal chain and right side with the other preamp? Then you need only A/B box or something like that to split the signal from guitar into 2 ways to feed both preamp's

Problem with that would be that the G-Major only has a single processor and therefore would be attempting to read both signals. (if I'm not mistaken)

RectoStudioGuy said:
Problem with that would be that the G-Major only has a single processor and therefore would be attempting to read both signals. (if I'm not mistaken)
yes, that right, but he didn't wrote if he want to use the preamps separately or at same time. my idea was for 2 preamps running simultaneously, as the g major is able to operate in stereo with it's stereo I/O :)

Simultaneously would be where the problem would be. Being that it has a single processor both input signals would flow through it. The result would be a dominant signal with a great deal of muddy from the accompanying signal. I tried that exact set-up with my Recto & Studio Pre's with aweful results. One would need a true stereo (dual processor) FX unit or a second unit to run them as Left/Right. Great idea though I think.

I think the A/B box is just what I need for the front end as I'm not planning on using the pre-amps simultaneously. I probably would want to continue using the G Major through the Triaxis loop as well and not connected to the XPR as it has it's own charm the way it is.

So, the front end with the A/B box (would I need it buffered or just plain & simple ?) splitting the signal to the Tri & XPR (the G Major in the Tri loop - XPR straight) then to the 2:90.
But, as I currently use the 2:90 in stereo (taking advantage of the G Major stereo FX), how do I get the XPR in as well ?
Would a pair of Y cables suffice (Tri & XPR stereo outs routed to 2:90 stereo in), or would that compromise tone (and maybe hum) and I'd need something else ?

Many thanks guys for your input :D

lento said:
What would be the best, and if possible, the simplest way of connecting 2 pre-amps, a G Major 2 and the 2:90 ?
At the moment I simply connect the G Major in the Triaxis loop, into the amp and control with a Yamaha MFC10 midi controller

Now, I have a Rockman XPR (still a 8) sound) and wish to incorporate that as well. I've looked at the GCX Audio Switcher and wonder if there is an alternative as I don't use pedals and probably don't need all that flexability.

I'd prefer something rackable but any suggestions welcome.

thanks
Lyn

MESA/Boogie High Gain Amplifier Switcher

switch.JPG

swtichtop.jpg

Wow! that looks the business (but maybe overkill for my simple needs) and looks to be along similar lines to the GCX.

I've never seen or heard of one of these. Are they midi controllable ? Expensive ? :oops:

Ok, I've found an old post on them here:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33585

lento said:
Wow! that looks the business (but maybe overkill for my simple needs) and looks to be along similar lines to the GCX.

I've never seen or heard of one of these. Are they midi controllable ? Expensive ? :oops:

Ok, I've found an old post on them here:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33585

I use a Custom Audio Electronics V.1 amp selector, and am very happy with it, but -- as you put it, "may be overkill" for your needs.

caeswitcher001.jpg

caeswitcher002.jpg

caeswitcherrear.jpg

RectoStudioGuy said:
Simultaneously would be where the problem would be. Being that it has a single processor both input signals would flow through it. The result would be a dominant signal with a great deal of muddy from the accompanying signal. I tried that exact set-up with my Recto & Studio Pre's with aweful results. One would need a true stereo (dual processor) FX unit or a second unit to run them as Left/Right. Great idea though I think.
sorry, no flame...but... are you sure, that you're right that the problem was G-Major.I didn't try this set up, but your explanation of single processor seems to be little bit...stupid.

first, I don't think TC should sell the unit with stereo I/O which it's not able to do stereo processing.
second, I don't see any reason why ther should be 2 processors in the unit to process the stereo input signal. the processor see's only the set of 1's and 0's on it's input and it applies the effects algorithms on them. It depends only on it's power how much complex algorithms it can process and it could be very interesting algorithm which preffers one side of the stereo signal :)

maybe the recto pre and studio pre just didn't match together, or the input calibration on g-major was not set properly, but I don't think, that the main problem was, that g-major cannot run stereo. Why they called it stereo fx processor, when you couldn't run stereo signal through it?

RectoStudioGuy said:

Nah-- Running both preamps into a line mixer and sending that signal to the inputs of a G-Major works GREAT... I've built a bunch of racks for guys doing that

4Eyes said:
RectoStudioGuy said:
sorry, no flame...but... are you sure, that you're right that the problem was G-Major.I didn't try this set up, but your explanation of single processor seems to be little bit...stupid.

Well actually the owners manual points it out quite clearly in the form of a single-line diagram. But thanks for the stupid remark.

zachman said:
RectoStudioGuy said:

Nah-- Running both preamps into a line mixer and sending that signal to the inputs of a G-Major works GREAT... I've built a bunch of racks for guys doing that

Ahhh and there's the rub...the line mixer. Thanks Zachman

RectoStudioGuy said:
zachman said:
RectoStudioGuy said:

:wink: Ya, the devil is in the little details. Keep Rockin Brother--

RectoStudioGuy said:
zachman said:
RectoStudioGuy said:

:wink: Ya, the devil is in the little details. Keep Rockin Brother--

RectoStudioGuy said:
But thanks for the stupid remark.
sorry, it shouldn't sound like that, but IMHO you weren't right with your single processor theory. I think that your problem was coused by different design of the fx loops in different preamps, that was the whole magic.

Latest posts

Back