best speaker for mkiii 1x12 combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrown101

Reaction score
so i just bought the combo cab to convert my rackmount mkiii greenstripe back to a combo. Just looking for some input ...

My current faves, subject to change without notice:

EVM 12L: 200 watts. Back breaker (20 lbs.), but has the toans. Clean and super fat bottom but has it's own slight mid-sizzle breakup. 100 dB (efficient!). Unbreakable.

Eminence Texas Heat: 150 watts. Light (8.3 lbs.), earlier breakup useful when playing quiet. Still decent tight bottom and somewhat rolled-off warm top end. Like an old tweed Fender. 99 dB.

Jensen MOD12-110: 110 watts. 9.55 lbs. Less bottom, more mid-cut, Celestion sounding, but high power, less breakup than the Texas Heat. 99.1 dB.

I like my cleans "pushed". That is, I like my cleans to be slightly dirty, and dirtier the harder I pick, but still not as dirty as R2.
I run a Blue Stripe with the first Volume on 8-9.
I could not get this sound with a Green Stripe, as the Greeny is squeaky clean in R1, even with Volume on 10.
But the Greeny has a punchier R2 with that extra 10 watts.

My experience, YMMV.

Along with MrMarkIII's suggestions I'll add the Eminence MS-12 150watt speaker.
These were made for Mesa and came stock in the MkIII (the EV12L was and upgrade).
They are much like the EV but slightly warmer due to being a bit rolled off in the highs.

gts said:
These were made for Mesa and came stock in the MkIII (the EV12L was and upgrade).
They are much like the EV but slightly warmer due to being a bit rolled off in the highs.

agree 100%

Hi, just a quick off topic question if I may.
I have Mark III combo with an EV speaker but want to change the speaker.
I'm looking to find a MS-12 speaker, how much do they sell for normally?

Thanks!

gts said:
I do agree that the Eminence MS-12 is the best speaker choice for a Mark series combo amp.

I currently have a MKIII combo w/ a monster EV speaker that came out of a PA enclosure and a Thiele 1X12 w/ EVM12. Anyone tried an Emminence in the combo cab together w/ EVM in a Thiele?

many of the 'infamous' metal grill 2x12 cabs had a c-90 on top and evm-12 on the bottom. if you need 2 speakers i would give it a try ... not sure how your other speaker sounds. i have the ms-12 in mine ... if i needed more than one speaker as i get mic'd to the PA for a lgr place ... u might be playing at the school of the deaf !!!

I recently (finally) had a chance to try the MS-12. (I loaded it in the top portion of a vertical metal grill 2x12, with an EV underneath). My experience is that the speaker did roll of the high end, and this resulted in much less high end detail (as compared to the MC-90 that I had in there previously). It may well have had more bass than the MC-90, but the EV in the bottom was already covering that.

Of course, it could be that I had an old, beat up speaker (I did buy it used). But aside from that possibility, I felt that the MC-90 / EV combination was much better at capturing the detail, subtely, and attack, that comes from high end clarity. The MS-12 just sounded dull in comparison.

As another option, I have been using Weber ceramic California speakers for several years, with my Mark III combos, and I love them. They have a good tight low end (a la EV), but more clarity and character on the high end. (I use it mostly for clean or crunch tones...I don't play metal).

Good luck on your search!

Back