Best speaker for Mark IV combo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ

Reaction score
I just got an empty combo cab and was wondering what the best speaker is for it. I will be putting my Mark IV in it (provided I don't leave it in the rack after seeing that post of a freshly rackmounted Mark IV, thanks). I am wondering between the Black Shadow 90 and the Ev which would sound better as a 1x12. I have 4x12s if I need to play louder. I just haven't had a combo in ages. I had been thinking about getting a Thiele cab but came up on the combo cab. I am still looking for the older 2x12, but need some input on what would sound best in the combo. I would put a v30 in it but think it might be a little too much for the speaker if I dared to crank it. I am looking for something relatively indestructable as I never know when an urge will hit to blast the hell out of it. I might not have access to the 4x12s if I am not home and have only brought the combo somewhere.

Hi Russ,

I tried several of different speakers with my MK IV combo in the past, which still has the stock Black Shadow EVM 12L 200 watt on board. Additional I own 1x12 Thiele cabs loaded with the original OEM EVM 12 L 200 watts, which I use in a stereo configuration with the MK IV, in order to get a wonderful 3-D mix ( Thiele cabs for effects and MK IV combo dry ). I have also a Black Shadow MC 90 and a V 30, which I like to use alternative in two other smaller tube combo's ( 2 x EL 84 power stage )
today I'm the opinion, that the best solution is, to use the MK IV combo with it's stock EV in combination with a open back 1 x 12 ext. cab, loaded with the V30 or MC 90 for example. Best of both speaker worlds, IMHO.
The EV with it's precise tone reproduction, but also with some lack of warmth and 3 - D and a little bit too focused sounding in the small boogie combo cab and on the other hand the V 30 or MC 90 with a more open and 3 - D sounding voice.

I found out, that it seems to be important to have the EV 12L as a basis tonewise, in order to get the typically "Mark series Boogie sound" partcularly for the lead things.

So I tried also other vintage speakers in combination with the EV. For example some Alnico speakers from former old German amp manufacturer, such as Hohner, Echolette and Dynacord also a Altec 417 8H and Altec 417 8H series II. IMO, it is like a different color added to the basic tone of the combo, to get a interesting tone mixture. I like it :D

Regards
Arno

Back