Best simulation of Mesa Dual Rectifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaroslav

Reaction score
Hi all,
yesterday I was forced to use my GNX-3 live instead of my beloved Racktifier. The sound was really not bad, good enough for smaller clubs with not the best sound guys and PA. I would prefer to have something smaller for this kind of gigs as I am starting to get lazy lugging my heavy rack to all of them. Sometimes we also need to get everybody into one car as well. Maybe some kind of pedal or rackmount preamp, which could be used with the loop return of any amp. I am looking forward to your advice on this topic:) Preferably not digital as well:)

the DigiTech RP200 does a decent job... not as much low end, but it makes a fair attempt

in my opinion the line6 model is pretty bad. Extremely digital sounding if you own the real thing. even when you plug the line6 and use the recto as a poweramp for its tubes.

...what an elegant solution:) Nevertheless a bit expensive. I would love to have one (and one day I will:). I am afraid I will have to face the fact, that light and small things do not have big sound...

Thanks for another few suggestions. V-Twin is not my cup of tea, low buzzy solid state diode distortion. The Demonizer looks very interesting, I will probably try it out.

The Demonizer video looks very impressive! I think I'll check it out. Unfortunately, I have to drive quite a way to Germany to get one :cry:

Have'nt tried it yet, but I'm thinking about the Zoom G2.1u! Multi-effects processor w/expression pedal, drum machine, and usb connection for recording! Steinberg Cubase LE included! Latest processing! $170 bucks! Sounds good to me! Better have a good Rectifier in there though!

The Boss Metal Zone with the "Marshall/Boogie" mod by indyguitarist is actually really **** close.. turned a fender hotrod deville's clean channel into a very close DR sound with the right settings.

G2 could be a good choice, as a well set 505II with an ss poweramp can get very close. I would prefer some analog solution, so that i can turn the EQ a little bit (I rarely touch my Boogies EQ:). I hope I will try out the Demonizer in May :twisted:

I just recieved my new Zoom G2.1u! Though I have not used it as of yet, I found it interesting that the model of Rectifier they are approximating is from Linkin Parks "Hybrid Theory" album! A Dual Rectifier in the Silicon Diode mode, set to Vintage!

here's a Line6 Spider 112 clip. I recorded it with a Shure SM58, which is a voice mic, so quality isn't good at all but you can have a little idea of the type of sound. Mic was connected directly into soundcard. Clip was recorded with an original strat, so this is a reason for which the distortion isn't so full and big. I really like line6 recto modeling, but only at very low volume levels! when you play at higher volumes (let's say past 11 o'clock - perhaps even before) the sound become thin and trebly and specially very harsh. So if you need a practice amp line6 is a good choice for me, absolutely not when playing live but also with the band in studio (no way to make it cut through...)

http://www.freewebs.com/ytse_jam/line6recto2.mp3

Hi all,
yesterday I tried out the Demonizer. I was not very impressed. But then, the guy from the store recommended to try out the Womanizer. I was sceptical, I did not want some blues or rock distortion.

They have chosen a bad name! This one kills. Nice screaming and chuggy distortion. Not the same as DR, but the same "feeling" and tone quality. I don not need to say that now I have one at home:)

Anomaly, I have compared Demonizer and Womanizer with Soldano Supercharger and HK Tubeman. Womanizer was by far the best one of them for my ear. Now I play it at home through a solid state PA amplifier and it rocks as hell. It has an all tube feeling and sound even through a ss poweramp. At home, I have compared it to Rocktron VooduValve and PRO G.A.P. - Womanizer wins again.

I plan buying a Crate PowerBlock to create a portable rig, which weighs only 1/10 of my rack rig:) An it has 90 % of the sound, which is not bad really:)

I use a Line 6 AX2 212 through a Mesa 3/4 cab w/ C-90's and it's like a solid state recto thruogh a sm 57(this is my backup on gigs)i also like the MkIIc+ sim in this amp........the cool thing about this amp is that it let's me use the Mk II's graphic eq(which isn't modeled on any other product that i know of)with the dual rec model for some truly wicked tone-shaping

the best model of the dual rec ive ever had was the johnsons dual rectifier stack model on the millienium 150 amp. i can play it side by side with my recto, the tones are very similar. the on ly thing is the johnson doesnt have the presence nob.

Latest posts

Back