Best riff of 2008

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenabI

Reaction score
So which is your favourite riff from last year?

Mine would be the very first opening riff in "Combustion" by Meshuggah :twisted: :D

Mine would have to be either Suicide & Redemption by Metallica off Death Magnetic right at 3:06 or the intro riff/line to Hex Omega by Opeth off Watershed.

Both riffs/lines get me going in a big way. But ultimately the Suicide & redemption riff is one of my all time favorites. I hated that song up until i finally listened to it long enough to hear that riff... now i love the song because from that mark to the end, the song is fantastic.

BTW, there is a youtube video a guy put together with Hex Omega synced up to some scenes from the movie sunshine... its pretty cool especially the beginning.

jdurso said:
Mine would have to be either Suicide & Redemption by Metallica off Death Magnetic right at 3:06 or the intro riff/line to Hex Omega by Opeth off Watershed.

Both riffs/lines get me going in a big way. But ultimately the Suicide & redemption riff is one of my all time favorites. I hated that song up until i finally listened to it long enough to hear that riff... now i love the song because from that mark to the end, the song is fantastic.

BTW, there is a youtube video a guy put together with Hex Omega synced up to some scenes from the movie sunshine... its pretty cool especially the beginning.

Yes Suicide & Redemtion is a good song, actually my favourite on that record. My favourite riff of Watershed is probably the opening riff in "Porcelain Heart", it so evil, MIGHTY EVIL :twisted: :D

MusicManJP6 said:
zenabI said:
Mine would be the very first opening riff in "Combustion" by Meshuggah :twisted: :D

Holy god... I just listened to this song on YouTube... :shock:

You gotta love Meshuggah 8)

Elpelotero said:
Broken Beat and Scarred after the solo...when there's no drums, just guitar.

here's the one i'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8p8rOYYpoU

and in a full context: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJsY8_y-CMY at 5:14. Sounds great within the full song.

Wow looks like death magnetic is very overrated record. Just because its metallica's it doesnt mean its best in any way. My favorite would be Testament's Formation Of Damnation all way from the start riff to middle of the song.

I would love to put TONS of my favorite 08 riffs, but my all time favorite would be Elevator by Ihsahn. The beginning of Elevator is great but when its gets 30 seconds in... pure magic! Love the counterpoint!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6GpfD7G310

no way...either of darkness spawned ~:50 mark from the black dahlia murder or the intro or ~4:20 of foam born b from btbam

MusicManJP6 said:
zenabI said:

Holy god... I just listened to this song on YouTube... :shock:

They are like the only screaming vocals band i can stand, cause there riffs are so **** technical and awesome, Rational Gaze riff is gotta be my favorite by them though

Trivium & King Diamond - In the Fire from the Album "Roadrunner United The All Star Sessions".

that song blew my mind away man!!! All the riffs, vocals and especially solos are freaking amazing... check it out

I would agree on both counts. Metallica is way too overrated. To me they have not had any good songs or tones since the black album. Testaments new album is absolutely a rhythm and lead guitars players wet dream. Both guitar tones are killer with lots of mids to them. Eric Peterson has laid his best work to date on this record.

I would love to know Eric's setup for his killer tone on this record. I know he is a Marshall man so his tone is coming out of EL34's

NWOFORLIF

Spamds said:
Wow looks like death magnetic is very overrated record. Just because its metallica's it doesnt mean its best in any way. My favorite would be Testament's Formation Of Damnation all way from the start riff to middle of the song.

Spamds said:

Why is it overrated if people like it? I dont think anyone here thinks a certain riff is the best BECAUSE its metallica, its just what people like.

nwoforlif said:
I would agree on both counts. Metallica is way too overrated. To me they have not had any good songs or tones since the black album. Testaments new album is absolutely a rhythm and lead guitars players wet dream. Both guitar tones are killer with lots of mids to them. Eric Peterson has laid his best work to date on this record.

I would love to know Eric's setup for his killer tone on this record. I know he is a Marshall man so his tone is coming out of EL34's

NWOFORLIF

Spamds said:

Tones on Load, while not "metal' are killer and some of their best. Garage Inc has some of the best guitar tones of their career.

Latest posts

Back